Football.com - everything football

Wenger hits the 1,000 mark

by Mark Lee Armstrong Smith
Mar 23, 2014 2:12 PM GMT

Arsene Wenger will reach a milestone tomorrow when he takes charge of Arsenal for the 1,000th time.
Despite reaching a rare record the 64 year old Frenchman insists he will always question himself and look to improve.
The landmark game is against rivals Chelsea and the Gunners will be looking to close the gap on the current Premier League leaders.
Wenger has seen it all and done it all in his seventeen years in charge but says his desire to succeed burns as fierce as ever.
"You learn from every game" he said, "you learn more from the lost games than the games won.
"You learn then most in the biggest games when the pressure is there, when the talent is against you and when the pace of the game is at the top, top level."
There is a genuine belief that 2014 could finally be the year Arsenal end their trophy less drought.
Wenger will not allow himself nostalgia, even with the mile stone approaching.
"It makes you feel 'where did the time go?' it looks to me like I started yesterday.
"I can't believe it is such a long time, your only interest is the next game, our drug is the next game."
Wenger's contract expires in the summer and there is no indication of his intentions.