Football.com - everything football

MUFC IN THE MEDIA (18/03/14)

by MUFCWriter
Mar 19, 2014 6:42 PM GMT

The day before our Champions League game and a couple of days after our embarrassing result to Liverpool, we had another active day in the media. Moyes featuring a lot, but also some transfer news and some bad squad news; all coming up.
First up, rumoured 'under-fire' Moyes claims he is confident in maintaining his role, despite the clubs woeful form. According to talkSPORT, Moyes said, when asked if not overcoming a two-goal deficit against the Greeks would have any impact on his future - "My future has not changed one bit. I have a great job. I know exactly the direction I want to go in. The season has not been as good as I had hoped but I have ideas that I will put in place when the time is right." It's firmly understood that the United board aren't looking to act quick regarding Moyes, we're a club who focuses on a long term vision; that's why he was given a six-year contract.
Not only are Sir Alex and Ed Woodward very supportive of the Scot; Everton goalkeeper and US International Tim Howard believes Moyes can be a huge success at United, proven he is given time. Tim told ESNP, "I think this club will succeed and David Moyes here, given the right time, will be a huge success, David Moyes never takes a backward step. He always believes that he can do the right things. He believes in his methods, he believes in the players that he brings to a club and that makes for a really good working environment over a long period of time." Howard, like me; believes Moyes needs time. Time heals everything.
Andy Gray reckons Moyes is yet to receive the respect he demands off his players, he believes it's a battle between the two. Andy told talkSPORT, "No matter what David Moyes did at Everton, when he went in to Manchester United, he had to earn respect; if you were a top, top player you have that respect. You go into a place and you get respect because you played at the highest level. David didn’t, so his respect had to be gained and earned. I have absolutely no doubt that when he went in a lot of the lads would have thought, ‘I’m not having him’ and David’s thought, ‘I’m not having them'." Maybe Andy is right, but respect will come in time; and Patrice a few weeks ago, revealed that David Moyes has not lost the dressing room.
Ex-Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich believes the next week will determine David Moyes' future at Old Trafford, and after a 3-0 humiliation to Liverpool, things aren't looking good. The former keeper told talkSPORT: "David Moyes is a wonderful man but things have gone from bad to worse. They've got big problems. You can see it out on the pitch. The two games against Olympiakos and Man City are huge. The West Ham match will take care of itself, but the results against those two will determine whether David Moyes stays at the club. If we see another two abject performances, especially in the derby, I don't think the board will have any choice but to appoint someone else."
Is the manager of our Champions League clash mocking Moyes? Olympiakos coach, Michel; says he has sympathy for embattled Manchester United boss David Moyes. He believes Manchester United will rise again and feels strongly about Moyes' current situation.
Bad news from Italy, as Vidal looks almost certain to be not joining us in the summer. He's devoted to Juventus and would reject offers from the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. The Chilean international told Las Ultimas Noticias, "I live with my feet on the ground, I try not to think too much about the rumours, otherwise I would go mad. I think it is better to focus on training and getting ready for games at my best." He's happy with life at Juve, and any move away from Italy seems very unlikely.
Reports from talkSPORT suggest that Liverpool have joined the chase for Serbian star Adem Ljajic from Roma. The 22-year-old has demanded interest from several Premier League clubs for several years now, including United; but Liverpool are now rumoured to have joined the chase for the Serbian's signature.
Hitlist headliner Edison Cavani is unlikely to join Manchester United without Champions League football, reports the Daily Mail. The Uruguayan wants to step forward in his career, and with no Champions League; he feels he isn't pursuing his goal. European football is a key factor for Cavani, something PSG are providing with ease. So maybe it's true? Maybe United will struggle to attract big names this summer, as a result of a poor season resulting with no Champions League football.
Bad team news, not just for our Champions League clash with Greek giants Olympiakos, but for a prolonged period as Chris Smalling is set to be on the sidelines for a month with a hamstring problem. With Evans out and Vida serving a 2 match league ban, this leaves us in a sticky situation. Ferdinand and Jones are our only options; and venturing into a tough month; matters could get worse.