Football.com - everything football

MUFC IN THE MEDIA (23/03/14)

by MUFCWriter
Mar 24, 2014 7:23 PM GMT

After a successful past few days, with a Champions League progression and a Premier League win; the media looked good for United over the weekend. Carvalho now a done-deal, an upcoming contract for De Gea and some good news regarding Champions League superstar Robin Van Persie's condition.
For Moyes, the summer rebuild has already very much started. According to various reliable sources, United have agreed a deal for Sporting star William Carvalho. The Portuguese midfielder is due to join United before he almost certainly jets off to Brazil for the World Cup, making him a Manchester United player next season. The 21-year-old's agent has already been shower around Carrington, which will soon trigger the 37 million release clause in Carvalho's contract. He's praised my many in Portugal, and I can see him fitting into the United team nicely.
A busy March for United, as four games have already been played; with 2 left in the calendar month. On Tuesday they host rivals City, and David Moyes is confident his team can maintain their current upward spring with a win against the 'noisy neighbours'. Saturday's captain Wayne Rooney is confident that United can derail City's title hopes with a win on Tuesday at Old Trafford, due to the sides renewed confidence and belief as of their recent form. Moyes praised Rooney's positive attitude, and claimed Wayne leads by example, making him such a quality player for United. Rooney is favourite to captain the Red's permanently next season, and manager Moyes sees no fault in acquiring him with the armband.
Marvellous news for Manchester United fans, as David De Gea is set to extend his contract with the club. Our Spanish shot-stopper has been very consistent this season, and has finally settled in, in England. The Spaniard saved his team in their Champion's League win over Olympiacos with an unbelievable double save, keeping United ahead. Not just that, throughout the past year; David has made some exquisite saves; which has resulted in United goalkeeping legends Edwin Van Der Sar and Peter Schmeichel expressing their admiration for some of his performances.
After the sealing of the Carvalho deal, Moyes insists he is not finished. The Scot has now turned his attention to German holding-midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich. Kroos is reportedly currently in a contract dispute with the German giants; and his brother, Felix; says that a Premier League for Toni, is on the cards. Kroos would sit alongside Carvalho, possible resulting in Carrick being kicked out of the squad, unless he continues to play at the heart of the defence, like he did brilliantly on Saturday.
Reports from Italy claim AC Milan are lining up a bid for Dutch forward Robin Van Persie. AC, like United; are in desperate need of a squad rebuild; and are acting on media allegations of Robin Van Persie being unhappy at Manchester United. A move to the San Sir looks unlikely, as the Dutch did recently publicly say that he is happy with the team and the manager, and would be interested in extending his contract with the Devil's.
Some European scouting going on, as Manchester United sent scouts to Benfica's Stadium of Light on Thursday night to watch Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay. The Argentine scored the first goal as his side defeated Tottenham to progress into the Quarter-final's of the Europa League. Chelsea are supposedly also in the race for the Argentine's signature, who is open for a move to the Premier League.
Reserve goalscorer James Wilson could be off to Turf Moor for the last few few weeks of the season. Burnley are chasing promotion and believe the hotshot could be a huge boost for a few weeks. It'd only be a loan, but if he performs; they may want him permanently at the end of the season.
United target Antoine Griezmann admits he is unsure where his future lies, due to his form in La Liga this season. The French winger has played down talks of staying in Spain, and turning 23 on Friday; says he doesn't know where he will be for his 24th birthday.
Everton have now joined United and Liverpool in the chase for Hoffenheim midfielder Roberto Firmino. The Brazilian is seeking a move to the Premier League, from a lot of interest from various clubs. Firmino is being closely monitored by United scouts, but are in competition with Inter, Liverpool and now Everton. Now the deal for Carvalho is done, the Roberto link may die down; however he's a creative little player, who could potentially be at Old Trafford next season.
Another chase Liverpool have joined, is the chase for Southampton golden boy Luke Shaw. Luke has been heavily linked with United and Chelsea for some time, but Liverpool have now also joined the potential race for the England international. According to the Daily Mail, Ed Woodward had a three-hour meeting with David Moyes last week to discuss the left-back in transfer targets. So things are looking good.
City starlet David Silva claims Manchester United have not got the best out of former Valencia team-mate Juan Mata, Silva told media: "It is a difficult situation for him because the team is not playing that well. They have not managed to bring out the best out in him but he is a very talented player and he will show it. He wasn't getting the minutes at Chelsea so it was a good move for him to go to United. I have been out to dinner with him and his family and we are friends. Anything he needs, he knows he can come to me for. Maybe after the game we can have a meal; it depends."
David Moyes insists Bayern Munich have weaknesses that Manchester United can exploit in their Champions League quarter final game at Old Trafford next week. Moyes said, "I've got a few things that I've seen that I would try to work on and capitalise on. They are the holders. But I don't think the holders have ever won it twice. Hopefully we can try and do something about that. It's a really big game but the big thing is being in the quarter-final draw because on Tuesday most people were thinking we wouldn't be in the draw coming from 2-0 down. So yes, we have a tough draw but we are still in there and we are still fighting."
More confidence from Moyes, as he targets the Premier League title next season. When asked about his summer rebuild and contending for the title next season, he said; But Moyes said: "We are building already, with my thoughts and vision for next year. In every game we have to start looking to that. We need to be in there competing for titles next year. That’s what this club has done and all the other clubs have had periods where they haven’t been competing for titles. There is an added importance if you win big games and it’s something we’ve not done often enough this season." I reckon it's possible, but we'll have to see what happens in summer.