Football.com - everything football

United - Olympiacos (2nd Leg) - Match Preview

by MUFCWriter
Mar 19, 2014 6:52 PM GMT

After a season-summarising performance in Greece a few weeks ago, United are determined to turn a two goal deficit into a bypass into the quarter finals of the Champions League.
Since the first leg, United have played West Brom; and won comfortably 3-0; however have also played rivals Liverpool, and lost dreadfully 3-0. After defeating us on Greek soil, Olympiakos lost two games on the bounce; however restored it with a win last weekend. So a sketchy couple of weeks for both sides, as an off-balanced yet determined Manchester United welcome Greek leaders with masses of young talent to the Theatre of Dreams.
In order to atleast win the game 3-0, Moyes needs to set out with the right intention, including lineup, tactics and decisions. We need to attack, and Olympiacos aren't going to park the bus; Michel has confirmed that; so we need to win the midfield battles and ensure we don't let anything sloppy get through our defence.
I'd set out with a 4-4-2 diamond formation, looking like this:
De Gea
Rafael Jones Ferdinand Evra,
Carrick,
Januzaj, Valencia,
Kagawa
Rooney Van Persie
It's attacking and I believe would work well with the team. This won't get chosen, I know. It'll be the typical 4-2-3-1 formation; of which isn't working for our squad.
A few injury blows ahead of the fixture, as Nani has only just returned back to training, Smalling is sidelined for a month and Evans is sidelined for a further few weeks. Blows of which could effect us, however we've got Jones and Vida, of which should deliver.
If United possess any of the traits they possessed in the first leg, we'll be straight out. We need to be up for it, roaring and ready to go; exactly like Old Trafford will be.
My prediction for the game is United 3-0 Olympiacos, a perfect result; swiftly sending us into the quarters. Where we'll be drawing a team ten times the ability of the Greeks.
The last thing we want to do is be knocked out of the Champions League, I feel it's something; that if we put our mind to it; we can progress finely in.
Kick off is at 19:45 GMT in Manchester. Let's hope it's a good one.