Football.com - everything football

West Ham vs United - Match Preview

by MUFCWriter
Mar 22, 2014 3:16 PM GMT

A late kick off for United, as they play the Hammers; at Upton Park. United have won nine of the last ten meetings between the two; and hope to extend their record with a win today, despite the absences of Nemanja Vidic and Robin van Persie.
It's been a busy week for United, after the atrocious loss the Liverpool at Old Trafford last Sunday and the Champions League quarter final booking 3-0 win against Olympiacos on Wednesday night. Three games in six days for Moyes, of which will change to four games on nine when United host the 'noisy neighbours' at Old Trafford on Tuesday night.
If United win today, it looks unlikely they'll move from 7th, as Everton host Swansea at Goodison Park; already 3 points ahead with 1 game in hand. Everton will move into 5th with a win, leaving United just 2 points behind top four-challenging Tottenham on an equal amount of games, providing they win.
It'll be interesting to see what team Moyes picks for today's fixture, with a huge upcoming game against City on Tuesday night, will he rest key players? Or will he go all out on both? We really don't want to be dropping points to West Ham; no matter what team we put out. What you have to remember, is that RVP, Smalling, Evans, Valencia and Nani are possibly all unavailable due to injury; whilst Vidic is suspended for his red against Liverpool. The team choice will be tough, but in my opinion; it's the perfect time to allow Mata to play the no. 10 role. My preferred lineup for today's game is as follows, playing the 4-2-3-1 formation;
De Gea,
Rafael, Ferdinand, Jones, Evra
Fellaini, Carrick,
Januzaj, Mata, Welbeck
Rooney
Welbeck was outstanding on Wednesday night, and rarely fails to impress; his work rate is sensational and you really can tell he wants to be playing. He can put a shift in up front or on the wing, with his dazzling pace and his unbelievable flair; I feel he's got to be played today.
A potential return for Rooney up-front. Although he hasn't been scoring as often as previous years this season, he's been fantastic wherever he's been played; and if you put him up top with Mata in behind, a lot will be created.
My prediction for the game is 2-1 to United, coming away with 3 points and leaving us in a good position to catch Tottenham and Everton up.
Enjoy the game, wherever you watch it from; and let's hope for a United win!