Football.com - everything football

Meulensteen: Fulham hit the panic button

by Mark Lee Armstrong Smith
Feb 15, 2014 5:46 PM GMT

Rene Meulensteen has accuseed Fulham of hitting the panic button after he was axed as manager last night.
The former Manchester United assistant coach was in the job for just 74 days and was replaced by former Bayern Munich coach Felix Magath.
Meulensteen said: "They have hit the panic button on emotion and fear."
The club Chairman, Shahid Khan, claimed that the club was forced to act with them bottom of the Premier League and no signs of improvement recently.
Magath's appointment came early last night and the club statement gave o mention of Meulensteen.
In his short reign at the helm he lost 10 of his 17 games and won only four.
Meulensteen joined after having a very short spell in charge of Anzhi Makhachkala in August.
Chairman Khan said: "With 12 matches remaining, we certainly can no longer post enpty results. Action is required."
But Meulensteen responded in a less than friendly manner: "I couldn't care less what they put in the statement, to be honest.
"I knew the owners were freaking out a little bit that there was the possiblity of the club going down.
"The way forward that we have discussed with the club was about longevity and in this case it is clearly an act of fear.
"I've not had a lot of time and people who came to the Manchester United and Liverpool games could see what I was trying to put in place."
New manager Magath won the double with Bayern Munich and the German title at Wolfsburg.
He said: "I'm manager at Fulham with immediate effect. It's a fanatstic working environment for any coach and footballer.
"This amazing club, steeped in tradition, and it's owner Shahid Khan have totally convinced me."