Football.com - everything football

Caballero sends a warning to Hart

by Mark Lee Armstrong Smith
Jul 09, 2014 1:45 PM BST

Manchester City's newest arrival, goalkeeper Willy Caballero from Malaga, has sent out a warning on his first day at the club to City's first choice keeper Joe Hart.
The former keeper who made his name in LA Liga for City boss Manuel Pellegrini at Malaga has told Hart that he will do everything in his power to battle him for the top spot in goal.
Caballero only joined City after Pellegrini promised him the chance to get first team football with the reigning Premier League champions at the Etihad.
The South American, who has agreed a three year deal with City, threw down the gauntlet to the England star in his first training session.
"I know I am coming to big club with a very good goalkeeper," said Caballero.
"City have a great goalkeeper in Joe Hart, but I will try to compete for the No.1 spot, I will do my best in the training sessions.
"This is a new challenge for me, I have been doing well in the previous years and my goal is to hopefully perform at the same level for City.
"I knew Manchester City were interested in me, so I tried my best for my previous club to make the move to a very big club potentially and finally I have realised that ambition, now I have to prove myself."
Pellegrini dropped Hart last season after some suspect performances between the sticks for City and with such an experienced keeper now on the books, Hart will have to watch his back even more if he wants to keep the top spot.
Caballero spoke highly of his former club Malaga in his first interview for City: "I have good memories because we played in some big stadiums and got good results.
"But I also have bad ones, like the last game at Dortmund, which will stay with me for the rest of my life, hopefully I will get the opportunity for revenge.
"Manuel has told me I will feel part of this club, I like the way he works and his best quality is giving players the confidence to achieve their potential."

Yes
100%

No
0%