Football.com - everything football

Relegation Scrap Hots Up

by DannyC
Mar 25, 2014 12:52 AM GMT

With only a handful of games left, time is ticking away on 3 teams stay in the Premier League.It's coming to the end of March and we are starting to come to the end of a very eventful and enjoyable season, in which we have seen plenty of upsets from underdogs however we are now starting to arrive at the business end of the season, and for clubs who are in the thick of the scrap at the bottom region of the table, it is time for them try and pull away from the drop zone by anyway possible.

Stoke City (10th) 37 PointsI consider Stoke to be pretty much safe it would only take some miracle for some teams to get above Stoke's 37 points when you consider that Stoke also have 7 games to play. Mark Hughes must be very happy with his men to pull away from the relegation scrap at such a crucial stage of the season.

Aston Villa (11th) 34 PointsI feel Paul Lambert's men are insight of the supposed 40 point safety mark, and I have to say it looks likely that this will happen with upcoming fixtures against teams around them in the league against fellow premier league strugglers. Villa's home form has been their main weakness this season with them winning only 5 of their 16 matches at home this season (putting them 17th in the table on home form). But as expected Villa's counter attacking style of play has really been a benefit away from home and has been a great factor in which Villa have defeated the bigger clubs in the league as their style of play utilises their strengths, of quick explosive bursts of attacking football.

Hull (12th) 33 PointsWhat a difference a point makes. The gap between them and Villa is only one point however I feel that Hull are by no means home and dry out of this relegation scrap just yet with some tasty fixtures again against teams around them, but also against title chasing Arsenal, as well as a trip to Wembley in the FA Cup. Hull's league campaign can end in one of many ways, the big question you have to ask yourself is, will the distraction of an FA Cup semi-final distract the players and performances away from the Premier League or will it improve it and as a result will gain momentum? I am honestly not sure how Hull will fare come May but with the two good attacking additions of Jelavic and Long, they do stand a very good chance of finishing in a respectable position.

Norwich (13th) 32 PointsAs a Canary fan I have experienced some roller coaster of a season, in which I have seen some dire performances and results however that being said I am glad that we have now hit 32 points with 7 games left to pick up as much points as possible to maintain or even put some daylight on our 7 point gap between us and the relegation zone. That being said Norwich still have a mammoth end to the season which sees them play; Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in their last 4 games of the season.

West Ham United (14th) 31 Points
The London club are once again in the thick of things at the wrong end of the table, however I feel West Ham have little to worry about thanks to their experienced premiership manager Sam Allardyce, who may get criticised by Jose Mourinho for playing 19th century football, but it works and it will continue to gain West Ham vital points to push themselves above the safety mark.

Swansea (15th) 29 PointsSwansea find themselves in the middle of relegation scrap and this is more than likely due to commitment earlier on in the season to the Europa League. Swansea were always going to struggle to compete in both competitions thoroughly and this is evident in their league position. Despite this I would be surprised if Swansea were to fall through the relegation trap door however that being said they do have a mixed bag of fixtures so they will need to ensure that they pick up the necessary points from the teams around them.

West Bromwich Albion (16th) 28 Points You do have to ask yourself what has happened to West Brom? well I felt that the loss of Lukaku has been a major factor and if I was a fan of the club I would be questioning why the management haven't looked to bring in a player to fill in Lukaku's gap, as they knew that he was only there on a temporary basis. The other disappointing thing this season has been their decision to sell Shane Long who in my opinion as a Norwich fan was a big goal threat against us, and again they have not subsequently filled his position. I was a big supporter of Steve Clarke and I do worry about where they may finish in the table come the end of the season.

Crystal Palace (17th) 28 PointsCrystal Palace were written off as a certainty to go straight back down as soon as they won the play-off final and to be fair it was looking that way at the start of the season. But since the appointment of Tony Pullis Palace fans have started to enjoy life in the premier league and most importantly began to pick up points, and Im sure even Palace fans before the appointment of Pullis would of thought that come the end of March they would sit one place and 3 points above the relegation zone. I am pleased that Palace have surprised us this year because their fans have brought a new atmosphere to the Premier League this season.
Sunderland (18th) 25 PointsSunderland did not experience the best of starts to the season which saw Di Canio sacked. I believe that Sunderland are on the up and can get out of the relegation zone, as they have a good manager in Gus Poyet and have a few games in hand over clubs around them in the league thanks to their league cup run. Sunderland can get out it's just a matter of keeping the squad fit and motivated to complete their busy fixture schedule and come to the end of the season with premiership safety secured.
Cardiff City (19th) 25 PointsI feel that Cardiff are in some serious problems both on and off the pitch after owner Vincent Tan controversially sacked Malky Mackay and replaced him with Solskjaer who was new to the premiersip management stage so I believe they took a huge gamble. Will the gamble pay off? We will find out in May.

Fulham (20th) 24 PointsFulham have had very much a season to forget so far which has seen them change management staff multiple times, and I feel that decision to appoint Wilkins and
Curbishley as back room staff behind René Meulensteen and then shortly sack the lot of them made no sense to me, they were doing a decent job and between the 3 of them they had good experience of this league which some teams around them lacked.
If they are to stay up they need to start picking up points fast as time is running out.

Leave your comments below about who you think will beat the drop and why?

Stoke City
0%

Aston Villa
0%

Hull
0%

Norwich
0%

West Ham United
0%

Swansea
0%