Inter primed for Cagliari, says Stramaccioni
By Football News
Andrea Stramaccioni says Inter have put last week's controversial defeat to Atalanta behind them ahead of Cagliari on Sunday.
The Milanese giants crumbled to a 4-3 reverse at the hands of Atalanta, but the result was promptly followed by an angry post-match outburst from their coach who felt that a 'non-existent' penalty inspired their opponents' comeback.
But when asked about the refereeing appointment of Domenico Celi for the trip to Trieste, Stramaccioni made it clear that his players were no longer dwelling on the past and had no concerns about their attitude towards the official.
"We're talking about a group of professionals here, so I think the referee will be perfectly calm," the 36-year-old said at a press conference.
"The penalty came at a time when we were in control of the game. We lost our way after the penalty and in the ten minutes that followed we lost the game.
"We were shaken up and conceded two goals which proved to be fatal. I never said anything about referees doing things in good or bad faith and for me the matter was already closed the day afterwards."
Stramaccioni then assured that Inter would give it their 'best shot' in the Serie A run-in, despite their hopes of Champions League football next season seemingly all-but-over with an eight-point deficit to make up.
"Now we must concentrate on performing well as a team and I don't think there'll be any problem there," he added.
"For me and the players it all ended on the day of the match. We're focused on doing our jobs. There are lots of games still to play and we want to give it our best shot."