Report: Chelsea close in on Cavani capture
By Football News
Chelsea are set to pay 58 million euros for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani, while PSV Eindhoven winger Dries Mertens will join the Serie A club.
Napoli's official radio station has claimed Chelsea have purchased Cavani and that the Uruguayan striker will earn '8.5 million euros per season plus image rights'.
While Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are also reportedly interested in Cavani, Radio Marte declared on Monday that Chelsea have secured the 26-year-old striker pending Napoli head coach Rafael Benitez finding a replacement.
"We have received news in the office from a very reliable source that Napoli have sealed a deal with Chelsea for Cavani's sale," Radio Marte said in a statement.
"Rafa Benitez also gave the all-clear but before making the move official Napoli want to secure the striker who will replace Il Matador.
"Aurelio De Laurentiis' club will pick up around 58 million euros, a slight discount on the buy-out clause, which is the same situation as Ezequiel Lavezzi to PSG last year.
"The player will earn 8.5 million euros per season plus image rights."
Cavani has scored 104 goals in 138 games in his time with Napoli and is considered one of the best strikers in the world, alongside Radamel Falcao, who joined Monaco from Atletico Madrid in May.
Aurelio De Laurentiis, Napoli's owner, has claimed he will 'smack' the Uruguayan if the forward's future is not decided before July 20, but turned on the charm when announcing the capture of Mertens on a five-year deal.
The Belgian winger, who scored 18 goals and set up another 21 for PSV last season, has joined Napoli for a fee of 9.5 million euros.
"I am happy to tell you that a few minutes ago I closed the deal with PSV for Dries Mertens," De Laurentiis tweeted.
"In the last few days Dries has been in Naples.
"He told me that he fell in love with our city, with its greatness. Welcome Dries!"