Sneijder stands firm on contract dispute
By Football News
Wesley Sneijder says he has no intention of signing a new contract with Inter Milan while he is frozen out of the first team.
The Netherlands star has been left out of Andrea Stramaccioni's side as a dispute over his exisiting deal continues, with the club insistent the player accept a cut to his six million-euro salary.
Inter president Moratti had previously claimed there was no animosity between the club and the player, but Sneijder has said he will not commit to a new deal if he is not involved in the first team.
The 28-year-old told reporters on Monday: "At this moment I'm not playing, I have no intention of signing Inter's contract."
Sneijder's statement is at odds with the words of Moratti, who had earlier expressed a belief an agreement could be reached over the issue.
"I've spoken to those who attended the meeting, they sounded quite pleased," Moratti said.
"Both parties behaved sensibly. Now it's up to them, it's up to Sneijder, who is still an Inter player of course. We'll see.
"I think a lot of this has come from the media and obviously we're trying to agree on certain things, otherwise he'll stay at the club. What's important is that he's fit and playing well, that's all I care about."
Moratti felt he would not need to attend any further talks in person, saying: "This is something which can be resolved easily. If they need me though, I will of course be there."
He also moved to clarify the player's position within the first team, insisting the former Real Madrid man will return to the side soon.
"Of course (he'll play again), as soon as he's ready," Moratti said.
"He's ready to play if he's fit and on form, not just because he's Sneijder."
Sneijder, who is being linked with the likes of Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, has only made five appearances in Serie A this season.