Football.com - everything football

Cowboys' Anthony Spencer To Undergo Surgery

by Allen Kim
Jul 25, 2013 12:30 AM EDT

Dallas Cowboys DE Anthony Spencer suffered a bruised bone on his knee back during a pre-camp conditioning test, and there are fears that not only will he miss some time, but that he’ll need surgery on it. Spencer told ESPN’s Calvin Watkins that there’s the possibility that he’ll have to undergo knee surgery, which would sideline him for about two to three weeks.

“It’s concerning to me. It’s bothering me right now,” Spencer said to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I really don’t know what else to do, so I’m just taking it day by day.”

Spencer was sidelined during OTAs because of a hyperextended knee, and it even hurts for him to run on it right now. He can only hope that he makes a full recovery in time for Week 1 of the regular season. He’s playing out the year under the franchise tag, and he’ll be playing for a big payday next offseason. On the verge of turning 30, this is likely his last chance at a big contract.

“The defense, it’s not too complicated. It’s straightforward. It’s all the stuff we’ve put in during OTAs, mini-camps, so I know the plays. I know what’s going on,” he said. “Just doing it and repping it is the biggest thing I’m worried about right now.”

With the loss of Tyrone Crawford, Spencer’s health is even more important. He’ll have to quickly acclimate himself to the Cowboys’ new 4-3 defensive system whenever he finally gets back on the field.

Update: The Dallas Cowboys have decided that the best route would be for Spencer to undergo surgery on his left knee later in the week, which was confirmed by coach Jason Garrett. He’s expected to miss anywhere between two to four weeks.

Spencer aggravated the bone bruise during a conditioning run on Saturday, which has been bothering him for months now.