Football.com - everything football

Jags OT Joeckel: 'I'm Ready To Work'

by Andrew Kates
Apr 26, 2013 1:46 PM EDT

The Jaguars didn’t hesitate with the second pick in the 2013 NFL Draft by selecting arguably the best                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      player in this draft class. 

Luke Joeckel out of Texas A&M is a monster offensive tackle that immediately improves the Jags, and gives Blaine Gabbert some extra time to deliver the ball to an up and coming receiving corp. 

"They need a good offensive line," Joeckel said. "They need somebody to protect the quarterback. Blaine Gabbert got hit a lot last year. I think I'll fit in perfectly. Help in the pass game. I'm excited to get down in the three‑point stance and get after people in the run game, too." 

Joeckel looked like a young Tony Boselli walking up to the podium under the lights of Radio City Music Hall, and GM David Caldwell is hoping he can walk the walk on the field, and protect like the former Jaguar All Pro.

"I'm ready to work," he said. "I just hope they know I'm ready to work. I'm ready to go help the team out, help them win. I know that's all they want. I think that's the biggest goal of any team is to go win football games."

Jaguars fans can expect Joeckel to fight for a starting job out of the gates, giving 2009 first round pick, Eugene Monroe a run for his money at left tackle. The Jaguars will have both sides of the line protected as the low man will most likely shift to right tackle.    

If Gus Bradley hopes to see improvement in his team however, he has to build a cohesive unit on both the offensive and defensive lines. With offense addressed, look for the Jaguars to focus on defense later in the draft. The Jaguars and their fans look to stand united in this new era as the 2013 Draft unfolds.

The Jaguars next scheduled selection barring any trades, is the second round and the 33rd overall pick. The needs are at almost every position so the Jags could fill a number of key areas with selections at defensive end, cornerback, linebacker, quarterback, or running back.

With no state income tax in Florida, Joeckel likely made out better going to Jacksonville than if he had been taken by the Chiefs at No. 1.

"You know, you don't try to think about money when it's involved with number one and two," he said. "I definitely was competing for that number one pick, but going to Jacksonville, going to the Jaguars, I'm so excited right now. That's all that matters."

Joeckel was the second of six offensive linemen selected in the first 11 picks.

"It's always nice when the O‑line gets some respect," Joeckel said. "We usually get the crummy meeting room, the crummy chairs in our meeting rooms, and it's always nice when we get some respect. I think a lot of teams are realizing how important the position is because the guys, they look pretty scoring the touchdowns, but they get space to score those touchdowns from us."