Football.com - everything football

'Punt Bama Punt' Hero Passes Away

by Dan Harralson
Apr 26, 2014 3:38 PM EDT

Before the 2013 Iron Bowl 'Kick Bama Kick', there was the 1972 Iron Bowl of 'Punt Bama Punt'.
Ninth-ranked Auburn returned two blocked punts for touchdowns in their 17-16 win against second-ranked and 10-0 Alabama in 1972.
With 5:30 remaining in the game, Alabama held a 16-3 lead, but the two blocked punts allowed Auburn to out-score 'Bama on the scoreboard.
The man responsible for scoring the two blocked punt touchdowns, David Langner, passed away Saturday morning. Langner, 62, died from cancer.
The irony of Langner being the hero of 'Punt Bama Punt' and Chris Davis being the hero of 'Kick Bama Kick', both went to Woodlawn High School in Birmingham.
"David Langner was one of Auburn's greats who will be remembered by generations to come," Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. "He was a fierce competitor who fought cancer as hard as he fought any opponent he faced. I know the entire Auburn family joins me in offering our sympathy and prayers to his family."
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn added, "I'm saddened by the passing of David Langner, who was not only an Auburn legend but a great man. On behalf of the entire Auburn football program, our thoughts and prayers are with David's family and friends."
You can relive 'Punt Bama Punt' here: