Football.com - everything football

Report: Mack Brown Resigns At Texas

by Christopher Smith
Dec 16, 2013 4:13 PM EST

The drama is over.

Mack Brown will indeed resign as head coach at Texas, The Longhorn Network reported Saturday.

ESPN's Brett McMurphy also confirmed via Twitter that Brown will resign after coaching Texas in the Alamo Bowl against Oregon.

Brown, who has coached at Texas since 1998, is 158-47 at the university with two conference championships and a national title. But the Longhorns have lost at least four games each year since losing the BCS championship to Alabama following the 2009 season, going 18-17 in the Big 12 in that time. Texas also has failed to capitalize on the lucrative talent base at quarterback in the state since then.

"It's been a wonderful ride. Now, the program is again being pulled in different directions, and I think the time is right for a change," Brown said in a statement released by the school. "It is the best coaching job and the premier football program in America. I sincerely want it to get back to the top and that's why I am stepping down after the bowl game. I hope with some new energy, we can get this thing rolling again."

His status turned into a bit of a soap opera this season, roping in Alabama coach Nick Saban and churning out conflicting reports from sites like Orangebloods.com, ESPN and CBS.

New athletic director Steve Patterson and university president Bill Powers met with Brown on Friday afternoon. It appears Patterson, who replaced the retiring DeLoss Dodds, will have a chance to define his tenure right away, assuming the various entities of power allow him major input in the decision.

"We appreciate everything Mack has done for The University of Texas. He's been a tremendous coach, mentor, leader and ambassador for our university and our student-athletes. He is truly a college football legend," Patterson said in a statement. "I've had a number of talks with him recently, and he has always said he wanted what was best for The University of Texas. I know this decision weighed heavily on him, and today he told us he's ready to move forward."

Brown will make his last stand at the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 30 as a 14-point underdog against Oregon.

At 62 years old, it seems unlikely Brown will go after another coaching job. At 244 wins, he's second on the FBS career wins list among active coaches behind Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer (266). He was the coach in one of the most memorable games in college football history as Texas beat USC in the 2006 BCS national championship game as Vince Young scored on an eight-yard touchdown run with 19 seconds left.

Brown is second in school history in terms of wins behind Darrell Royal (1957-1976), who won 219 games.

The job remains one of the premier coaching destinations in the country, and money should not be an issue. Brown was making more than $5 million per season as one of the highest-paid coaches in college football.

It will be interesting to see where Texas turns in its coaching search, as Saban, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Auburn's Gus Malzahn, Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin, Baylor's Art Briles and UCLA's Jim Mora are just a few of the coaches who have agreed to new contracts with their respective schools this month. That should make it difficult to impossible to lure them to Austin.

Texas currently has the No. 11 recruiting class, according to Rivals, and the new hire obviously will be key for the school to retain so many highly-ranked commitments.