Football.com - everything football

The True "Al Davis Special"

by Camsavoie
Feb 28, 2014 11:03 AM EST

Every year there is at least one player whose off field character issues outweigh their true NFL potential. There are quite a few players in this years draft whose character is in question, including potential number 1 picks Johnny Manziel and Jadaveon Clowney. However there is only one player who is noticeably a top round talent but will most likely be taken in the back half of the draft, and that is TE Colt Lyerla. Last year Colt was kicked off the Oregon team for breaking team rules and was arrested two weeks later for possession of Cocaine. Most top analysts are projecting him to go between the third and fifth rounds. I am giving this guy the title of "Al Davis Special" because of his Athleticism. All he did at the combine was knock the socks off every recruiter there with his mind blowing speed and vertical jump. He was noticeably the most athletic TE there even surpassing the likes of the top TE Eric Ebron. This guy has the potential to be the steal of the draft. His numbers say he could easily step in to the NFL now and make a difference, but the question is can he keep his name clean. If he can I would be willing to bet that we see some high production out of him starting day one, but on the other hand he is the one player I could see getting kicked out of camp in week 1. I loved watching this guy at the combine, and I hope the best for him and whoever drafts him. After all it appears as a later round pick the rewards outweigh the risks.