Football.com - everything football

Cowboys' Jerry Jones Rules Out Johnny Manziel

by Allen K
May 08, 2014 12:52 PM EDT

There has been some talk that the Dallas Cowboys have some interest in drafting Johnny Manziel, and that they’re willing to potentially trade up in the 2014 NFL Draft to select him. However, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones put the kibosh on all the talk. “I’m not that gunned up over what a rookie quarterback could do for us this year,” Jones said to the Fort Star Telegram. “That takes time. This is not rebuilding time.” Dallas may have missed out on the playoffs again, but they’re not viewed as one of the league’s cellar-dwellers. While they have a lot of positions that they need to shore up, going into full rebuilding mode wouldn’t make sense, and taking Manziel would signal that they're willing to potentially rebuild the team. It's possible that Jones is putting up a smokescreen here, but logic dictates that they won't be calling his name on Thursday. “It is logical that your position of strength, or viewed as a strength, would certainly not qualify for the most need in the first or second or early rounds. It does not qualify for the biggest need. I will go as far as to say it is not our primary goal in the first round to be looking at a quarterback. We've got a good one.” Jones signed Tony Romo to a seven-year, $119.5 million contract with $55 million guaranteed in March of last year, and they have him locked up through 2019. Dallas wouldn’t give Romo a massive contract like that if they didn’t have confidence in him, and he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. Also, they still have Kyle Orton under contract, and they picked up Brandon Weeden as another backup for Romo after he was released by the Cleveland Browns. “If you look when you draft relative to the qualifications the best player on the board, then that opens it up for a lot of dynamics going on there,” Jones said. “As far as quality quarterbacks, we're stacking them up if we draft (one) in my mind.” Dallas will need every pick they have in the 2014 NFL Draft. They have a number of holes to fill, and they can’t afford to give up any of their high draft picks. While they’re back-loaded with seventh-round selections, their day one and day two picks are far more important.