Football.com - everything football

Fantasy 2014 Rookie RBs: Underwhelming across the board

by gibsondc10
May 20, 2014 12:28 AM EDT

Over the last two seasons, rookie running backs have made quite the splash in their first campaigns. In 2012, we had Trent Richardson (don't laugh), Doug Martin, and Alfred Morris as above-average performers. Last year, we got Eddie Lacy, Gio Bernard, and even Andre Ellington and Montee Ball. So, for myself and probably countless others, the rookie running back class is exciting and could hold another Martin or Lacy. Based on the results of the past two seasons, you'd expect to see a '14 rookie RB fly to the top of the waiver wire or even the top of the weekly fantasy rankings, right?
Not so fast.
The homes of the '14 rookie running backs don't give much opportunity. There were a number of landing spots that would at least be intriguing for a rookie RB: Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Tennessee, and NYG come to mind. Even Baltimore, NYJ, Carolina, or Atlanta might be a little exciting. Of the 8 aforementioned teams, only 1 of them drafted a RB in the first 100 picks: the Titans. Let's take a look at the new teams of the RBs taken in the top 100 picks. Don't worry, there are only 8.
Bishop Sankey
Pick 52 - TEN
At least the first RB taken went to a RB-needy team. He'll compete with Greene, but I could see him taking over. The only pick I'm not that mad about.
Jeremy Hill
Pick 55 - CIN
Gio + BJGE was frustrating enough. Now we have to add a third musketeer. Hill is big, so he'll interfere with BJGE more than Gio, but the small mess just got a little messier. He's behind BJGE for the beginning of the year, at least.
Carlos Hyde
Pick 57 - SF
Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Marcus Lattimore, Kendall Hunter, and now Carlos Hyde. The 49ers are just being greedy now. Many touted Hyde as the #1 RB in the draft, but I don't see him getting on the field unless he gets some circumstantial help.
Charles Sims
Pick 69 - TB
Sims has a small chance to be a decent fantasy performer in 2014. If Martin returns to his old self, Sims will very likely be irrelevant. He'll even have to battle Bobby Rainey for the #2 spot. He has probably more of a chance than most members of this list.
Tre Mason
Pick 75 - STL
Zac Stacy is the man in St. Louis, and there are a slew of backups there with Mason. Disappointing.

Terrance West
Pick 94 - CLE
Many viewed West as a very exciting pick and playmaker, and, yes, he could have landed in a worse place. I've heard people say he'll overtake Tate as the starter, but there are a ton of RBs around him, including the recently signed Isaiah Crowell who could be a gamebreaker. So many mouths to feed in Cleveland right now.
Jerick McKinnon
Pick 96 - MIN
Well, he's behind AP. Handcuff at best, but since AP is a robot, who knows if he even needs a handcuff. Just kidding, always get a handcuff.

Dri Archer
Pick 97 - PIT
Le'Veon Bell has the starter job to himself, but the addition of LeGarrette Blount just muddles things even more. Don't expect much.
There you have it. Could it have been worse? Eh, probably. There's no way to say that none of these 8 will end up being a fantasy star, but the situations could have been a whole lot better.