Football.com - everything football

The 2013 Fantasy Footballer Awards

by Nick Raducanu
Jan 09, 2014 12:18 PM EST

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Well, let's be honest. It was only the best of times for one person in every fantasy league this year. It was the worst of times for everyone else. We just finished one of the most topsy, turvy fantasy seasons that I can remember, and we here at Football.com wanted to commemorate the madness with our first annual Fantasy Footballer Awards (or, The Footballies, as I like to call them). While the EMMYs are bound to be dominated by Breaking Bad, the GRAMMYs by Macklemore, and the Oscars by some movie no one has heard of, we're here to commemorate the good, the bad, the ugly, and the downright strange of the 2014 fantasy football season. And the winners are... (drumroll please) Best New Artist Award: Eddie Lacy
Montee Ball, Le'Veon Bell, Tavon Austin, and Giovani Bernard were popular picks for this category in the preseason, while everyone was making fun of "Fat Eddie." Looks like Mr. Lacy is the one laughing now, as he brings his 198 fantasy points in standard leagues (good for RB6 on the year) up to the podium to accept his award. (Honorable Mention: Keenan Allen, Zac Stacy, Le'Veon Bell) Comeback Player Award: Knowshon Moreno
Moreno was generally taken as the third Broncos running back in most drafts, but managed to finish as RB5 on the year with 220 fantasy points. Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman combined for 112. (Honorable Mention: Philip Rivers, Alex Smith, Fred Jackson) Goose Egg of the Year Award: Hakeem Nicks
Nicks was a popular mid-round pick in drafts, as he entered a contract year. Four months later, I had just as many touchdowns as Hakeem Nicks did this season. So did you. (Honorable Mention: Kenny Britt) The Baxter Award: Josh McCown
Not even Josh McCown's mom would've picked him to lead all players with 38 fantasy points in Week 14. I'm not even mad, I'm impressed. (Honorable Mention: Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick) Waiver Wonder Award: Nick Foles I'm sure there are leagues where some idiot dropped Josh Gordon, but I'll ignore those and give some love to the QB11 on the year who only started 11 games yet still finished above guys like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan. (Honorable Mention: Zac Stacy, Keenan Allen, Julius Thomas) Best Single Award: Jamaal Charles vs. Oakland Raiders
With all due respect to Nick Foles' seven touchdown outburst against the Raiders, Jamaal Charles' five touchdown outburst against the same Raiders defense was just otherworldly and catapulted man owners into the finals of their fantasy playoffs. (Honorable Mention: Nick Foles vs. Oakland Raiders) Biggest Pushover Award: Oakland Raiders D/ST
When you allow two of the aforementioned most historic fantasy performances EVER, there doesn't deserve to be an honorable mention category. Steel Curtain Award: Carolina Panthers
The Chiefs would've won this award if we were talking about the first half of the season, but the Panthers actually finished higher and were a lot more consistent. Both defenses were fantastic options all season though, as neither was selected in the majority of drafts. (Honorable Mention: Kansas City Chiefs) Out-of-nowhere fantasy playoffs MVP: Geno Smith
Smith (who was actually a Top Five quarterback in three different weeks this year) scored 59 fantasy points in Week 14-16. That's more than Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford and Russell Wilson. (Honorable Mention: Cordarrelle Patterson, Chad Henne, Infirmary Award: Doug Martin
This award could go to so many guys, but it's pretty killer when a guy goes as high as second overall in some drafts and only plays six games (with a weekly high score of 14). (Honorable Mention: Aaron Rodgers, Arian Foster, Julio Jones, David Wilson, Randall Cobb) Bust of the Year Award: Trent Richardson
All those guys listed in honorable mention are thanking their lucky stars that T-Rich only scored three touchdowns and only topped double-digit fantasy points twice all year on his way to finishing as RB36 (behind guys like Rashad Jennings, LeGarrette Blount, and Donald Brown).

(Honorable Mention: C.J. Spiller, Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, Matt Ryan, Lamar Miller) Breakout Player Award: Josh Gordon
When you miss two games and still finish as the best wide receiver in fantasy football, you probably deserve a larger award. Unfortunately for Mr. Gordon, that's reserved for someone else. Keep reading... (Honorable Mention: Alshon Jeffrey, Julius Thomas) Fantasy MVP Award: Peyton Manning
Jamaal Charles had an amazing season and would win this any other year, but I don't think there's really an argument to be had here when you put up 100 more fantasy points than the third place scorer. (Honorable Mention: Jamaal Charles, Josh Gordon, Jimmy Graham) If there are any other awards you think should be added (or any players who you think I left out), please feel free to let us know in the comment section below. And that puts a bow on 2013, folks. It's been quite a fantastic season and all of us at Football.com appreciate you sticking around and reading our work. We hope you're all spending the New Year polishing your fantasy trophies and look forward to seeing you all offseason as we begin our push towards the 2014 season.