Football.com - everything football

USC QB Max Wittek To Transfer

by Christopher Smith
Jan 31, 2014 11:27 AM EST

After several conversations with new coach Steve Sarkisian and the USC staff, Max Wittek announced his intentions to transfer to another school after he graduates this spring, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Wittek will be eligible to play immediately and has two seasons of eligibility remaining. After an initial competition, Wittek backed up Cody Kessler for most of the 2013 season and appeared destined for the same role in 2014.

"At the very beginning I’ll be open to anything to keep that spectrum open,” he told the Times about his next destination. “I hope to narrow it down to a few schools I feel comfortable with.”

Wittek completed 50 of 95 passes for 600 yards, three touchdowns and six interceptions in an underwhelming career. He made five appearances last season and replaced an injured Matt Barkley at the end of the 2012 season. At 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, he's got a prototype NFL body and probably will warrant at least a competitive chance at a starting job at an FBS program if he chooses his school carefully.

USC suddenly lacks experience and depth at quarterback beyond Kessler, but many expect big things from the upcoming junior.