Football.com - everything football

Gonzo Is "Partially Right" About Matty Ice

by pharaoh.gordon
Feb 09, 2014 10:20 AM EST

According to a recent post from NFL.com, recently retired TE Tony Gonzalez admits that Matt Ryan is not at the elite level yet, despite having weapons around him.

"Matt's an excellent quarterback," Gonzalez said, via ESPN.com, "But he's not elite. He's this close. He'll get there, but he has some learning to do."

I think with meteoric rise to fame and ability to lead his team to victory, he's already at the elite level. He just need win more postseason games, and at least make one trip to the Super Bowl, in order to be in the "best QB of the 2010s" conversation. Gonzo is right on the money when he made that comment on Matty Ice. Ryan needs to shine more in critical games, not just pull comebacks.

But that's where my agreement with Gonzalez's statement stops. In order for Ryan to get to the next level, he needs three things to happen:

• the O-line must stay healthy in 2014 and beyond. Perhaps that means adding more talent and depth to the position. If the offensive line sucks, then even the best of QBs will struggle. Just ask Eli Manning.
  • the running game must be revived. The more yards a RB can gain, the more chances for play action passes from Ryan. Unfortunately, that may mean finding a long term solution to the starting RB position.
  • defense must be more physical and aggressive so that Ryan doesn't have to win by himself.

Nothing wrong with Gonzo's statement. Heck, he's a future first-time ballot Hall of Famer. He can say whatever he wants to say. Plus he praised Ryan, calling the best QB he ever had. However, I wish Gonzalez could have taken the three points I made into the equation. I don't diss Ryan's leadership qualities at all. He's like a Dan Marino when it comes to leading teams to victory.