Football.com - everything football

The Dallas Cowboys Will Have A Superbowl Roster If....

by Football Guy 008
Mar 10, 2014 9:22 PM EDT

The Dallas Cowboys Will Have A Super Bowl Roster If…

Hell freezes over?

Pigs Fly?

Justin Bieber does something mature?

Ok, enough with the jokes. This is not as impossible as it sounds. It is merely a six step process with just a few sub steps in between. If the Cowboys can somehow make these (realistic) things happen, they will have the roster they need to contend for a championship in 2014.
1. Don’t forget about wide receiver.
With Miles Austin presumably on his way out, and Terrence Williams stepping into the second receiver role, it may seem as though receiver is not a priority for the Cowboys, but with Dez’s potential back problems, and inconsistency all behind him, the Cowboys are going to either need a solid 2nd or 3rd round receiver from the draft or reliable veteran (possibly re-signing Austin) to expand the weapons for Romo. If they go into 2014 with the status quo at receiver, minus Austin, the Cowboys are going to get in trouble.
2. Draft a QB.
First, the Cowboys need to move on from Kyle Orton. I understand he is a nice veteran back-up, but the Cowboys need the salary cap relief and they need to begin the process of grooming young quarterbacks that can either take over for Romo, or garner some trade value.
3. Sign or draft a good backup G/C.
The Cowboys truly had one of the more efficient offensive lines last year and I don’t think they want to do too much to mess up that formula. Brian Waters can remain on speed dial for the season, but dude is pushing 40 and there has to be somebody waiting in the wings. The Cowboys should either sign a budget Guard or draft a guy in the 5th or 6th round to develop and also be prepared to step in should injury occur.
4. Bring the defensive line back!
I know it sounds crazy based on the Cowboys salary cap situation, but they should try to bring back DeMarcus Ware at a salary closer to $8-10 million they way the Ravens did for Terrell Suggs, sign Jason Hatcher to a 2-year deal at about $7 million, and sign Spencer to a one year deal worth about $2.5-4 million a year. The toughest deal to figure out would be Hatcher’s but if a team really throws the checkbook at him, then it’s okay to let him walk. But Ware must be brought back, and Anthony Spencer’s value has taken enough of a hit in the last year that the Cowboys should be able to sign him to a very team friendly deal and he’ll have to prove his worth again. At least if the Cowboys bring back both DE’s they’ll have depth at the position with George Selvie and Tyrone Crawford coming back and then they simply have to focus on finding DTs in the draft.
5. Draft a safety!
Jerry Jones, please don’t over think this one. The Cowboys have had problems at this position every since Darren Woodson retired. Hell, even Roy Williams had some great moments as a Cowboy before he tailed off. But this team needs to pray that either Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor is available when they pick at 16. It is looking less and less likely with the way both prospects performed at the combine but if the Cowboys were willing to trade up from Morris Claiborne, they shouldn’t hesitate to do so for one of these guys. They can’t miss out on another game changer like Earl Thomas or Eric Reid.
6. Stand pat at linebacker.
With the total ineptitude of this defense, I’m sure it sounds asinine to stand pat at any position on this but I think there is plenty of competition at the linebacker positions with the emergence of Kyle Wilbur and DeVonte Holloman. I thought that Holloman was a playmaker from the first time I saw him in preseason when he returned an interception for a TD and made a few other big plays. I was also reading about him making a lot of plays during training camp. And Kyle Wilbur graded out extremely well when he was moved to outside linebacker and started a few games. I think the emergence of these two makes Justin Durant expendable or at least gives solid competition at both OLB positions. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter both need to learn the middle linebacker spot because neither can seem so stay healthy. And this is all assuming that Bruce Carter makes a much needed developmental leap. He struggled in switching to the 4-3, but it’s clear the athleticism and play making ability is there. He just needs to get more comfortable.
And there you have it. Three things on offense and three things on defense the Cowboys can do build a potential Super Bowl roster. Now let’s see what Jerry actually comes up with.

Yes
33.3%

No
66.7%