Football.com - everything football

Vols' Miller Breaks Reggie White's Sack Record

by Dan Harralson
Dec 02, 2013 10:16 PM EST

The Tennessee Vols' 2013 season ended with a silver lining despite the loss to Vanderbilt on Nov. 23, which kept Team 117 from bowl eligibility and ended the season at Kentucky.

Vols defensive end Corey Miller (no relation to Von) capped off the 2013 season and his collegiate career on a historical note. Miller recorded 4.5 sacks, breaking the great Reggie White's single-game sack record at Tennessee. The hall-of-famer set the mark in 1983 against The Citadel (4 sacks).   

"To be able to break an individual's record like Reggie White, that's something very, very, very special," head coach Butch Jones said. "A mentality to get the the quarterback, that 63 mentality that we talk about. There's a lot of sacks that are opportunity sacks, the other defensive end doing his job, and forcing the quarterback to push the pocket. I thought it was a great team effort up front. 

Said Miller about the record: "I'm speechless about it. You never think that something like that to happen, especially in the last game of your career. I went back to some of the guys that were able to help me like A.J. (Johnson) with the pass rush that helped free me up."

Josh Dobbs entered the Kentucky game without throwing a touchdown in three-and-a-half games. The freshman quarterback found the end zone by air twice as Tennessee defeated the Wildcats, 27-14. Dobbs finished 14-of-23 for 199 yards and one interception.  

The Vols had success on the ground that allowed for a successful passing game and moved the ball fluidly. Rajion Neal ran for 134 yards on 20 carries, including a 60-yard touchdown run on the game's second play.  

Neal capped off his Tennessee career totaling 1,124 yards on the ground. Dobbs also was effective on the ground, rushing for 52 yards on seven carries, including a 60-yard touchdown run that finished a 98-yard drive.