Football.com - everything football

MLS Week 2 Predictions

by Neal Sayatovich
Mar 10, 2014 4:46 PM EDT

http://www.football.com/en-us/mls-week-2-predictions/

Every week I will predict the results of the MLS regular season and as a bonus I will try to get the scores right. Here are my picks for March 15 - 16.
March 15th Picks
Philadelphia Union – New England Revolution
Both teams have been waving a banner of inconsistency. New England looks to rebound from a 4-0 thumping at the hands of Houston Dynamo. Teal Bunbury will have to get involved to give the Revolution a chance. Philadelphia Union looks put an up and down preseason and a 1-1 draw against Portland behind them and compete in the highly competitive east.
My Pick: Draw, 0-0
New York Red Bulls – Colorado Rapids
New York looks to rebound from a 4-1 loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC against Colorado Rapids. The interesting story here will be how Colorado's new coach does in his debut. Pablo Mastroeni will have a difficult task against Tim Cahill and company.
My Pick: New York, 2-1
Seattle Sounders FC – Toronto FC
Toronto makes their season debut against a red hot Seattle soccer team. Toronto goalkeeper Julio Cesar will have his hands full trying to stop Clint Dempsey and company. On the other side, Toronto faces a tall task in Chad Marshall, Djimi Traore and the lights out Sounders defense.
My Pick: Seattle, 2-0
Sporting KC – FC Dallas
Sporting looks to rebound from a heart breaking loss to the Seattle Sounders last week against a Dallas team in good form. Blas Pérez and the rest of the Dallas attackers will have to compete with a stingy Sporting defense. C.J Sapong and Graham Zusi are going to have to step and create goal scoring opportunities to give Sporting a chance.
My Pick: Draw, 1-1
Houston Dynamo – Montreal Impact
Will Bruin and the Dynamo are riding high after a 4-0 stunner against New England and look to continue success against a tough Impact squad. Montreal dropped a hard fought match to FC Dallas 3-2. It took only 10 minutes for Montreal midfielder Sanna Nyassi to score against Dallas. Bruin, however, was able to score in just over a minute against the Revolution. Look for a high scoring match up.
My Pick: Draw, 3-3
San Jose Earthquakes – Real Salt Lake
San Jose looks to make a positive regular season debut against the MLS Cup runner-up Real Salt Lake. Real Salt Lake had a thrilling 1-0 win over the LA Galaxy thanks to a Joao Plata goal. San Jose has a tough task against RSL's tight defense meaning Chris Wondolowski is going to have to come up big to give the Earthquakes a shot.
My Pick: Draw, 0-0
March 16th Picks
Chicago Fire – Portland Timbers
This is a match up of two teams coming off of a less than desirable result. Chicago had a heartbreaking loss to Chivas USA while Portland was held to a 1-1 draw against Philadelphia Union. Both teams are looking for their offensive spark. Mike Magee could be an X-factor on the pitch, but it is still unclear when he will play. I'm predicting this as if he does not play in this match.
My Pick: Portland 1-0
Vancouver Whitecaps FC – Chivas USA
The final battle of the week should be an exciting one as Vancouver looks to build on their 4-1 stomping of the New York Red Bulls and Chivas is flying high after their hard fought win against Chicago. Chivas rookie Thomas McNamara has proven deadly in the attacking third. While Chivas has shown offense, their defense has looked anemic at times, something Whitecaps midfielder Kenny Miller can take advantage of.
My Pick: Vancouver 3-1