Football.com - everything football

One On One With Will Bruin

by Neal Sayatovich
Mar 21, 2014 1:19 PM EDT

http://www.football.com/en-us/one-on-one-with-will-bruin/

Will Bruin of the Houston Dynamo has been lighting up highlight reels and scoreboards since opening weekend. In two matches, Bruin has three goals and an assist to his credit as the Dynamo are undefeated at 2-0-0. While Houston is on bye I caught up with Will Bruin himself for a one on one interview. I started by asking how the squad was feeling after the two wins.
“Good, good,” Bruin told me. “Two good performances and haven't allowed a goal at home. It's a great testament to our back line. Obviously six out of six points is great.”
Houston started the year by blowing out the New England Revolution 4-0. Bruin scored twice and added his single assist as Revolution keeper Bobby Shuttleworth was left on an island against the forceful Dynamo squad. Bruin scored his first goal in just over a minute and I asked his point of view on the shot.
“Kofi (Sarkodie) whipped the ball in and (Jose) Goncalves went in for it and missed. From there I adjusted my touch and shot and it went in.”
The half volley that followed will likely be on the end of season highlight reel. But that was two weeks ago and now after a 1-0 shut out of the Montreal Impact, Bruin is enjoying his week off.
“It's kind of unfortunate, having a bye week after two straight wins,” he mentioned in a disappointed tone. I followed up by asking what all he planned to do on his week off. “Nothing, (coach) Kinnear is giving us Saturday and Sunday off. I'm probably going to play a little golf, just get away for 48 hours.”
When asked how good he was he chuckled a bit, “I'm not bad, best I ever got was an 82 or something like that.”
Golf aside I asked if he has started preparing for the March, 29th match against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
“We haven't really since it's the bye week. Once we get back (coach) Kinnear will likely start going over how they play and how we prepare.”
Then I ended with the most common, but nonetheless interesting, question. How does he feel about the Dynamo's chances this year?
“Good, we know we have a really good team this year and we have guys that have been together for two or three years. Also we know what it's like to go far, we've made a championship and lost a championship. I think we have a good chance.”
If Houston stays in the form they are in it is a very real possibility. Bruin and the rest of the Dynamo have proven that they may be the team to beat in the east. Houston resumes play March 29th against the Vancouver Whitecaps.