Football.com - everything football

Rams Have No Need To Draft WR Early

by Neal Sayatovich
Mar 14, 2014 11:08 PM EDT

http://www.football.com...draft-wr-early/

Last time I covered the Ram's position strength at quarterback (http://www.football.com/en-us/a-tale-of-two-bradfords/) This time I am going to look at the remaining skilled positions and how these will affect free agency.
Running Back
When Steven Jackson departed a large question mark appeared over the backfield. If last season proved anything, it's they have a solid set of running backs. Zac Stacy led the trio with 973 rushing yards and proved he is a reliable starter. Daryl Richardson and Benny Cunningham also proved to be reliable options.
In Cunningham's brief appearances he clocked up 261 yards and a touchdown. What I liked most was the speed shown during each run. Every handoff was a chance for him to bolt through on small crease. Stacy also showed great speed as well as patience behind a sub par line.
With even a marginal improvement to the offensive line, this three headed monster could prove the unsung advantage to keep St. Louis in the tight NFC West race.
Wide Receiver
One of the most scrutinized positions of the Rams, many experts believe that St. Louis will use an early draft pick on a receiver. I disagree that they will use an early pick and there is a valid reason: the weakness of the line.
In free agency it is normally cheaper to sign a good receiver than a good lineman. It would be great for St. Louis to sign James Jones or another veteran who doesn't want a excessive amount of cash. Julian Edelman also makes a great case for a valuable starter who would having great value.
Jones has speed as well as a knack for getting open. Also, Jones and Edelman are both dangerous in the red zone. Combined with the speed and elusiveness of Tavon Austin, St. Louis could put together one of the deadliest receiver tandems in the league.
By picking up a solid veteran, they free up picks to use on offensive lineman. This strategy will allow the Rams brass to fix the one area that has hurt this team and, in other ways, hurt Sam Bradford over the past few seasons. If this draft goes well, the Rams are definite contenders.