Football.com - everything football

Is Jarnell Stokes The Next To Become A Two-Sport Athlete?

by Dan Harralson
Mar 03, 2014 9:55 PM EST

Back in the mid-to-late 80's and early 90's, a two-sport athlete was not an unusual feat to see.
Headlined by athletes such as Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Brian Jordan, Frank Thomas and others - the two-sport athlete has vanished from the major sports world.
Since the turn of of the century, money has primarily been the focus of why the two-sport athlete has disappeared. Becoming injured in another sport is an owner's or college coach's worst fear - and with the abundance of money throughout the sports world now, it is a sole reason why players have not entertained playing more than one sport collegiately or professionally.
The tables are turning and players are returning to a two-sport trend.
Heisman Trophy winner, Jameis Winston is playing both football and baseball at Florida State. Ex-NBA star Tracy McGrady is now pitching in the Texas Rangers organization.
Super Bowl champ Russell Wilson dawned a Texas Rangers jersey today in a spring training game against the Indians.
New freshman incomers, Tony Brown and Marlon Humphrey are not only going to be in Nick Saban's defensive secondary this fall, but they're also running track at 'Bama.
The next to consider playing two sports is Tennessee basketball player Jarnell Stokes.
It has crossed the 6-8, 260-pound Stokes' mind to play for the Vols' Team 119 - if he decides to come back for his senior year.
“Growing up, football was my passion,” Stokes told reporters after the Vols win against Vanderbilt Saturday. “That’s what I always wanted to do. I always make jokes that I’ll come play on the football team here at Tennessee. That’s what I always said when I first signed here. My senior year, if I’m still here, I’m playing football and basketball."
Stokes has size and speed to make his thoughts an actual manageable reality.
"I see guys like (Jadeveon) Clowney, guys are going crazy about his 40 time, his size. I look at that and I say, man, I’m his same size. I can run, too. I ran a — it’s not official — but I ran 4.46 with my trainer."
Stokes is already projected as the 41st overall prospect for the 2014 NBA Draft (CBS Sports). The Memphis product may want to come back for a senior season to not only give football a try, but to get better and become a first-round NBA pick.
If Stokes were to come back and become a member of Team 119, what position would he play?
“Defensive end or tight end. That’s the position I’ve been playing all my life.”