Football.com - everything football

Rocky 'Top' Reid Commits To Vols

by Dan Harralson
Apr 13, 2014 6:23 PM EDT

The Vols picked up a verbal commit over the weekend - and he may have the perfect name to play at Tennessee.
Butch Jones and tight ends coach Mark Elder received a verbal commit from Concord (NC) running back Rocky Reid.
“I chose Tennessee because of the education and because it's a great school,” Reid told 247Sports. “I like the tradition of their football program.”
Reid is deemed as the nation’s No. 65 running back (247Sports) and the family atmosphere Butch Jones and his staff have created is a prime reason why he will be adding Rocky 'Top' Reid to his name. “He (Elder) did a good job,” Reid said. “We talk all of the time. I like how they keep it like a family there.”
Last season Reid rushed for 3,335 yards (432 carries) and 39 touchdowns as his high school made their second straight appearance in the North Carolina state title game.
Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, Appalachian State, Arkansas, Marshall, Charlotte, East Carolina, Kansas State, Louisville, Massachusetts, North Carolina State, Ohio, Wake Forest and West Virginia all have offered the running back.
Georgia Tech and Wisconsin, two schools that provide an importance on the running game, were the two schools that came the closest in reeling in Reid. “Georgia Tech finished second and Wisconsin was third for me,” Reid said.