Football.com - everything football

Tennessee Spring Ball: Practice #5

by Dan Harralson
Mar 14, 2014 6:34 PM EDT

A day after the Vols practiced indoors and a day after JUCO transfer receiver Von Pearson made a one-handed grab that made SportsCenter's Top Ten, the Vols had their first scrimmage during spring ball.

Team 118 had their first scrimmage inside Neyland Stadium and won't hit the practice field again until March 25.
The reason for the time off is due to spring break and Coach Jones wants his players to have time to spend with their family and friends.
Friday's scrimmage was a situational scrimmage and provided four periods of individual drills and special teams.
Justin Worley was the first quarterback to get reps during the scrimmage, Aldon Hill was the first running back. Senior Marlin Lane (hand) did not participate in the scrimmage and will stay in Knoxville over spring break to rehab.
Worley found early enrollee Daniel Helm in the end zone after avoiding pressure from defensive lineman Danny O’Brien.
Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs also found the end zone. Ferguson threw a 25-yard strike to Marquez North. Joshua Dobbs threw to Josh Smith for another 25-yard TD.

As far as the starters on defense, they were as followed:
DL - Danny O’Brien, Corey Vereen, Jordan Williams and Owen Williams
LB's - AJ Johnson, Curt Maggitt and Jalen Reeves-Maybin
DB's - Emmanuel Moseley, LaDarrell McNeil, Devaun Swafford and Cam Sutton

And the Jalen Hurd update in his first collegiate scrimmage, the early enrollee had two big runs that provided two solid juke moves (pic above).

Quotes
Butch Jones
"First off I want to congratulate Cuonzo Martin and Vol Hoops on their win today."
"Jalen Hurd ran today like we expect him to run. I am encouraged by the offense's performance."
"The maturity of our team will show when they return from spring break."
"I want them to take a break and spend time with their families and friends but also find time for football over spring break."
(On the Offensive Line): "It takes time to build that consistency that chemistry. You are going to go through the growing pains."

Jalen Hurd
31.3%

Josh Malone
18.8%

Von Pearson
37.5%

Daniel Helm
6.3%

Ethan Wolf
6.3%