Football News

A-League: Brisbane 0 Adelaide 1

Created on 04 Nov., 2012 4:33 PM GMT

Brisbane's lacklustre start to the A-League season has continued with a 1-0 loss to Adelaide United at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

The Roar were in a dangerous mood but spent the match chasing their own tail after Dario Vidosic put the visitors ahead in the third minute.

Shane Stefanutto gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and Vidosic's attempt was deflected in off Mitch Nichols, who was forming part of the wall.

But Adelaide had few other chances in open play, while Brisbane, on the other hand, had all the ingredients but the crucial final ball.

Not even Brazilian star Henrique's first start this term, in place of the ill Ben Halloran, could stop the men in orange from losing their second consecutive game.

United now go clear on top of the A-League ladder with the win, while the Roar are languishing in eighth position with pressure now ramping up on rookie coach Rado Vidosic.

Last season, Brisbane failed to hit the back of the net on just four occasions. This result means they have now been held scoreless three times already in just five rounds.

Adelaide's defence did well to keep them at bay but the reigning A-League champions lacked the killer touch in the final third.

When United's back four failed, part-time Socceroos goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic was on hand to maintain the clean sheet with some incredible saves.

Besart Berisha, who had scans on an abdominal injury during the week, was also off his game.

Countless low crosses flashed past Galekovic but the usually goal-hungry marksman was unable to tip any in.

The home side should have evened the ledger in the 14th minute but Nichols missed an absolute sitter after a dangerous low cross from returning fullback Ivan Franjic.

United defender Nigel Boogaard nearly scored an own goal just after the half hour mark from a long-range Thomas Broich free kick.

The German floated an inviting ball into the area, with Boogaard's blushes saved by a diving Eugene Galekovic, who batted the ball away to avert disaster.

Broich also had opportunities in the sixth and 26th minutes but failed to hit the target on those occasions.

Sergio van Dijk thought he had doubled Adelaide's lead a few minutes into the second half when he headed home a corner but referee Chris Beath spotted a foul on Matt Jurman and ruled it out.

That close shave seemed to spark the Roar into action, and they turned up the heat on Adelaide from that moment on.

Two minutes after van Dijk's disallowed goal, an unbelievable instinctive save from Galekovic denied Erik Paartalu's header from a Broich short corner.

Seconds later, midfield workhorse Massimo Murdocca pulled his shot from a good position well wide of the right post.

But the Roar's maddening inability to convert continued deep into injury time with a series of corners, but it was as if Galekovic had a pair of magnets stitched into his gloves on each occasion.

Loading ...