Bnei Yehuda

Founded In
1936
Location
Tel-Aviv-Yafa (Tel-Aviv), Israel

Bnei Yehuda

About Bnei Yehuda

Bnei Yehuda Tel Aviv Football Club, often known more simply as Bnei Yehuda, was first established in January 1936 by Nathan Sulami and a group of his friends. Over the years, the team have bounced between the top and second division of Israel's league system, but have also experienced major success on occasion. They have a number of nicknames, including 'The Lions' and 'The Golden'.

In 1959, the club reached the country's top flight for the first time and remained there for several years, despite some close brushes with relegation. The 1964-65 season saw Bnei Yehuda appear in the Israel State Cup final for the first time, but they were beaten by Maccabi Tel Aviv. However, three years later, they reached the final again and beat Hapoel Petah Tikva to claim their first major honour. After suffering relegation at the conclusion of the 1971-72 campaign, the team began to yo-yo between the top flight and the second tier. 

The 1980–81 season saw the team finish as league runners up, while also lifting their second State Cup, this time overcoming Hapoel Tel Aviv in the final. Finally, in 1989-90, Bnei Yehuda were able to win the league championship. To date, it remains their only league title, but additional success has come in the Toto Cup, which they won in both 1991-92 and 1996–97. In recent times, they have often featured in the UEFA Cup/Europa League. Their best performance came in 2009-10, when they knocked out Simurq PFC, Dinaburg Daugavpils and Paços Ferreira, without conceding a goal, before eventually being eliminated by Dutch giants, PSV Eindhoven.

Bnei Yehuda play home matches at Bloomfield Stadium, which they share with Hapoel Tel Aviv and Maccabi Tel Aviv. The venue opened in 1962 and has been renovated a number of times. Today, it is an all-seater stadium, able to hold up to 14,413 supporters.