Catania

Founded In
1908 / 1946
Location
Catania, Italy

Catania

About Catania

Calcio Catania was initially formed on the island of Sicily in 1908 under the name AS Educazione Fisica Pro Patria. The team changed its name to Unione Sportiva Catanese and completed its first Serie B season in 1934-35. In the middle of the 1942-43 season, the Second World War brought a halt to league football. After the war, Catanese returned and soon merged with two other teams, Elefante Catania and Virtus Catania, becoming Club Calcio Catania in 1946. As a result, the foundation year of the club is sometimes stated as 1946 rather than 1908.

Although the club has spent most of its time in the second tier of the Italian league system, Catania gained promotion to Serie A for the first time after winning Serie B in 1953-54. Their stay was short-lived though and the club was relegated for their part in a financial scandal.

The team's golden years began in 1959, when the club once again achieved promotion to the top flight. With Carmelo Di Bella as manager, Catania went on to establish themselves in Serie A, finishing in eighth place in their first season and maintaining their top flight status for six seasons. Since that time, the club has bounced between Serie A, Serie B and Serie C1. Most recently, the club gained promotion to Serie A ahead of the 2006–07 season, ending a 22 year spell outside the top tier. Their rivalry with Palermo is one of the fiercest in Italian football and is known as the Derby di Sicilia.

Noteable former Catania players include World Cup winner Enzo Bearzot, Riccardo Carapellese, Giuseppe Mascara, Claudio Ranieri and the Brazilian duo Chinesinho and Pedrinho.

Since 1937, Catania have played home matches at the Stadio Angelo Massimino, formerly known as the Stadio Cibali. The ground, which is named after former club chairman Angelo Massimino, has a capacity of 23,420. However, in recent years, the club has started to explore the possibility of moving to a bigger stadium.