Cesc will stay another year at Barca. Plus, falling easily, a 'classic Drogba' move, says Wenger
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger couldn’t escape the fact that it was former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba who denied the London club the Emirates Cup trophy in the finale of the pre-season tournament on Sunday.
The Galatasaray striker struck twice during a second half comeback from the Turkish side, piping the Gunners to the top of the tournament’s table with their come from behind win.
Wenger, though, couldn’t help feeling a little aggrieved by the manner in which Drogba puled his side level after the forward appeared to fall to the ground after making little or no contact with substitute Ignasi Miquel in the Gunner’s 18-yard-box.
“I think that on the scale, that the penalty was very very very very very very soft,” began the Arsenal manager.
“It was a classic Drogba.
“He did well when he came on. He still has resources. You could see that yesterday. He has kept that physical strength and is intelligent with the game but I must say we were exhausted in the end.”
The French manager, however, is probably less concerned about the the way in which Drogba and his teammates were able to dash the hopes of those in the Emirates on Sunday and more concerned by the busy early season schedule his side face and the lack of new faces coming into the north London club this summer.
“What is important for us is that we only have 90 minutes now before the start of the championship,” continued Wenger.
“It is important that we recover a little bit from the two days and prepare well for our next game against Man City in Helsinki and then that we start strongly in the championship because that will have an influence on our performance in the Champions League.
“It’s always a very tricky period but we have the experience, we’ve done it before.
“I think we have enough quality to achieve it with the players that we have at the moment. If we can have some more in before that it’s even better.”
With the Champions League qualifiers looming on the 20th/21st and 27th/28th of this month, new faces at the Emirates to help share the load will have to come soon. So far, however, only youngster Yaya Sanogo has joined the club on a free transfer from Auxerre and Wenger is keeping his cards close to his chest especially when discussing the future of his former player Cesc Fabregas, who has been told by the Catalan club’s new manager Gerardo Martino that the decision to leave Spain for England is up to the player himself.
“I haven’t heard that comment at all and I haven’t read it so im always a bit cautious to answer on what a manger has supposedly said,” Arsene added.
“What I know is that Fabregas will stay at least one more year in Barcelona. That’s the information I have but if that changes I don’t know. That’s what I’ve been told.”
With Manchester United apparently no longer trying to push the Spanish midfielder out of the club, a return to Arsenal could be possible, especially after yet another bid for Luis Suarez was rejected by Liverpool this week.