Football News

Championship wrap: Murray hat-trick lifts Palace to top

Created on 07 Nov., 2012 3:24 PM GMT

Crystal Palace leapfrogged Middlesbrough into top spot on the Championship table thanks to a 5-0 rout of Ipswich Town.

In Ian Holloway's first match in charge of the club, Yannick Bolasie opened the scoring 24 minutes in at Selhurst Park to give Crystal Palace a 1-0 lead at the break.

Three second-half goals to striker Glen Murray further extended his side's lead, before Andre Moritz netted the fifth in injury time to push Crystal Palace ahead of Middlesbrough, who drew 0-0 with Nottingham Forest.

Charlton Athletic came from behind to defeat Cardiff City 5-4 with two goals from midfielder Johnnie Jackson.

Heidar Helguson's header four minutes into the match gave Cardiff the opener at The Valley and Joseph Mason doubled the lead with a tap in at the 24th minute.

But Jackson's two strikes late in the first half levelled the scores at 2-2 at the break.

Dale Stephens, Danny Haynes and Rob Hulse then netted for Charlton to extend the margin to 5-2 before Cardiff fought back with goals from Craig Noone and Aron Gunnarsson in the dying minutes.

Cardiff are third on the table on 28 points and Charlton Athletic are 19th.

Two second-half goals saw Birmingham city down Bristol City 2-0 at St Andrew's Stadium.

Chris Burke scored in the 59th minute and Marlon Francis's strike with 17 minutes remaining sealed the win for Birmingham.

Thomas Ince converted in the 18th minute and Ludovic Sylvestre netted with seven minutes remaining to give Blackpool a 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday.

Substitute Stephen Dobbie's strike in stoppage time gifted Brighton the winner in their 1-0 victory against Peterborough after he replaced Andrew Crofts in the 63rd minute.

Derby County overcame Barnsley 2-0 at Pride Park Stadium after James O'Connor scored in the 69th minute and striker Nathan Tyson netted on full-time.

Hull City beat Wolves 2-1 to record their fifth win in six matches and moved to fourth in the Championship.

Bolton drew with Leicester 0-0, Watford and Millwall also played out a goalless draw, while Burnley downed Leeds United 1-0.

Loading ...