DannyC
Author

Who'd Be A Manager?

Apr 01, 2014 10:39 PM GMT

Football management is quickly becoming a very short term "quick fix" position.

It seems that more and more managers face the sack, which begs you to ask the question is management becoming this short term "quick fix" solution for struggling sides, and you have to say that this is  probably the case when you look at Fulham, who have remarkably seen 3 contracted managers take charge this season and so far 2 have been sacked and I believe are still on "Gardening leave". This in terms of Fulham dents their finances as they still have to pay off two previous managers. However what the management are Fulham are trying to do is, effectively keep rolling the dice until finally the right manager comes along, which a lot of the clubs do but the only other difference being that other clubs try to allow time for the management and the players to bond together. 

Football management like the rest of the footballing industry is growing and developing and we are starting to see high levels of interest in these key management roles at football clubs. I feel the industry is trying to get aspiring coaches and wannabe managers developing and working their way up the coaching level as soon as possible. This means that there is now an increase in younger coaches and management staff which in previous times had been roles which retired footballers went into. An example of one young manager emerging through the ranks is André Villas-Boas (Ex Chelsea, Tottenham, Porto and Académica manager) who is now managing high profile Russian side, Zenit. AVB now at the age of 36 has had experience of managing top sides in English football, despite not having the best of times at both the London clubs, he did win the UEFA Europa league in 2010-11 with Porto. I believe that younger managers and coaches should be allowed to enter the highest point of the industry as quick as possible if they have potential, as many young coaches and managers have new, fresh and unique approaches to the ever changing game of football. Also I feel younger managers would also be able to win over players easier, depending on their approach to tactics and style of management, as managers would be more relatable to players. However this being said the discipline and authority still need to be present.

Managers are under public scrutiny and public spot light pretty much 24/7 and with the introduction of social media platforms such as Twitter, managers can find themselves at the forefront of unwanted public attention within a couple of tweets, which get the managers name trending. Chris Hughton is one manager who has unfortunately been at the wrong end of tweets; in which racist remarks had been made towards the Norwich manager, which was totally uncalled for and as a Norwich fan myself, I found it was unneeded at the time and did not help towards our survival campaign.

Managers also have to deal with extreme pressure and stress levels from fans, an example of this is David Moyes who has found himself under pressure from United fans throughout the season so far, and again it has unfortunately risen to ridiculous levels such as the plane with Moyes out. 
Fans of all clubs and myself, also make this mistake of piling all the pressure on managers and them being the reason for uninspiring performances, but in actual fact in most cases it is the players, who need to take responsibility for the performance of the team, as they are the ones who can impact the game more than a person on the sidelines in a tracksuit.

However it is not all doom and gloom, and this season we have seen great examples of good management which will inspire others to follow in their footsteps and these are my shortlist of contenders for manager of the season in the Premier League:

• Tony Pulis- Who yeah may not have secured Palace another season in the top flight of English football, and may not have set out the most attractive style of football. However it has worked and Palace who were pretty much write off by everyone as relegated before they even kick a ball in the premier league, are now sitting above the relegation zone on more points than they thought would have been possible.

• Roberto Martinez- The former Wigan manager has had a great season (so far) in charge of the Merseyside club who are in a great position and are on the verge of Champions League football. He made some excellent additions to the side by bringing in high flying Romelu Lukaku on loan as well as bringing in experienced individuals such as Gareth Barry.

• Brendan Rodgers- Rodgers has applied his philosophy of football to a very technically gifted Liverpool side and as a result have seen his side shoot up the table this season compared to last season, however I feel last seasons placement wasn't entirely his fault as it was always going to take time for these philosophies to be applied and replicated from his success at Swansea. Liverpool sit in a great position and are currently a big part of the title race and who knows by May, they might have just snatched the league title away from fellow rivals Manchester City and Chelsea. 
Europe
England