Conte rues wasteful Juventus as Rossi celebrates
By Football News
Antonio Conte insisted his side should have been awarded two penalties following Juventus' shock 2-1 Serie A defeat to Sampdoria on Sunday.
The Turin giants took the lead midway through the first half when Sebastian Giovinco converted a spot kick, but they were seemingly denied a second penalty later on after a duel between Alessandro Matri and Angelo Palombo.
That allowed Mauro Icardi to strike twice and inflict a surprise loss on the reigning champions at Juventus Stadium, with Conte less than impressed after the full-time whistle.
"I think that it was a clear penalty. I am a coach and my opinion can be a bit coloured, but this was a spot kick. I don't know how neither the referee, nor the fourth official managed to spot it," the 43-year-old told reporters.
"Of course I am not satisfied with the result. I am never pleased when I lose. People who know me know that I hate to lose. We were ahead and deserved to win it.
"We have to reflect on this game and learn from our mistakes. Sampdoria did well to get back in the game, but we have ourselves to blame for the loss."
Sampdoria counterpart Delio Rossi hailed his side's win as 'an incredible achievement', particularly after coming from a goal down and with 10 men.
"I am very happy, above all for the guys, as this was an incredible achievement," a jubilant Rossi said.
"We won against the champions of Italy while playing with 10 men. I made a tactical adjustment during the half-time break, but the lads were amazing in completing this comeback.
"Perhaps Juve weren't as unstoppable as on previous occasions and it certainly wasn't their best performance.
"I had to put faith in the players and I think they have the quality needed to survive in Serie A. We have to find at least three teams to put behind us in the table and so far it is happening."
Rossi has changed the shape of the Sampdoria team since taking over from Ciro Ferrara last month, introducing a 3-5-2 formation and recalling two players who had been left out by the previous coach.
"(Angelo) Palombo is an experienced player in a very young squad. I don't know why he was left out for the rest of the season, but he has the right character to play in defence," he said.
"As for Icardi, I find it ridiculous that we were expected to send him to an Under-20 tournament when he'd have a much better chance of making his mark against Juventus."
Juventus remain first in Serie A with 44 points from 19 games, while Sampdoria climbed to 14th with 20 points.