FFA refute gambling reports
Football Federation Australia has revealed that media reports claiming almost A$50 million was bet on an A-League game were incorrect.
It was reported last week that Hong Kong bookmakers held A$49 million on one match - the clash between Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory at Hindmarsh Stadium last December - and that the game was subject to an investigation by law enforcement agencies.
FFA have now said the amount wagered on the match was actually A$5 million, and that the error came about when media outlets reported the figure held in Australian dollars rather than the actual currency of Hong Kong dollars.
The Federation also confirmed that no A-League fixture was under investigation by authorities.
"FFA wants to correct the coverage that has cast a shadow over one Hyundai A-League match," FFA CEO David Gallop said.
"Our integrity systems gave us the assurance that there were no concerns with the match at Hindmarsh Stadium.
"FFA has sympathy for the clubs, players and officials in that match who got caught up in that story. It's a reminder that everyone must be careful to deal with the real evidence. The facts can have a calming effect and this is a case in point."
Gallop attended a meeting of Australia's Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports in Melbourne on Thursday - a week after the Australian Crime Commission's damning report into performance enhancing drugs - and said his sport had no pressing issues to be concerned about.
"The AFL and NRL indicated that they are involved in ongoing issues, but that the focus is not on match fixing," Gallop said.
"All sports confirmed that they have strict drug and integrity policies in place. We will all review those policies as appropriate.
"I reiterate that no specific concerns have been raised in relation to football, but as a sport we will remain vigilant in this area."