Football News

League One Wrap: Coventry defeated, Bristol City held

Created on 03 Aug., 2013 8:07 PM GMT

Coventry City's problems continued on the pitch as they began their League One campaign with a 3-2 defeat at Crawley Town on Saturday.

Steven Pressley's side were hit with the news that they would start the season with a ten-point penalty for their financial problems on Friday.

And things got worse for them as their hosts took a 2-0 lead through Jamie Proctor and Joe Walsh after just 20 minutes.

The combination of this poor start to the game and their off-field troubles was met with anger by the Coventry support and the game had to be halted when around 15 away fans invaded the pitch.

Crawley hit the crossbar almost immediately after the resumption of the game, but it looked like the the away side would take a share of the spoils as Calum Wilson and Franck Moussa restored parity in the second half.

However, Mike Jones' timely intervention six minutes from the end ensured Crawley would start their season with all three points.

Bristol City are attempting to bounce straight back to the Championship but they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to newly-promoted Bradford City at Ashton Gate.

Scott Wagstaff gave the home side the lead but Nahki Wells drew the sides level before the break.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas thought he had done enough to secure the three points for Sean O'Driscoll's men, but Rory McArdle equalised with just six minutes remaining.

In matches involving other relegated sides, Kenny Jackett's stint as Wolverhampton Wanderers manager started with a 0-0 draw away to Preston, while Peterborough United battled to a 1-0 home win against Swindon Town courtesy of Britt Assombalonga's ninth-minute strike.

Last season's play-off runners-up Brentford could only draw 1-1 at League One new-boys Port Vale, while Rotherham United scored twice in the last five minutes to start life in the division with a thrilling 3-3 draw at Crewe Alexandra.

Leyton Orient put five goals past 10-man Carlisle United to top the table after the opening game. Kevin Lisbie and Scott Cuthbert put the visitors 2-0 ahead before Lee Miller received his marching orders.

David Amoo's penalty two mintues before half-time gave Carlisle hope, but this was short-lived as a David Mooney strike and two from Dean Cox completed the rout.

Elsewhere, Stevenage lost out by the odd goal in seven at home to Oldham Athletic.

Jose Baxter's penalty three minutes from time earned Oldham a 4-3 victory in an exhilarating fixture at The Lamex Stadium.

Meanwhile, Walsall defeated Tranmere 3-1, Colchester earned a 1-0 win away to GIllingham and Shrewsbury were held 0-0 at home by MK Dons.

Loading ...