Lovech

Founded In
1921
Location
Lovech, Bulgaria

Lovech

About Lovech

Professional Football Club Litex Lovech, known more simply as Litex Lovech, was first established in 1921 and initially operated under the name Hisarya Sports Club. The team underwent a number of name changes, before adopting its current name in the late 1990s. Over recent years, the club have achieved significant success within Bulgarian football. They are also one of three teams from the country to be a part of the European Club Association, along with CSKA Sofia and Levski Sofia.

In the club's early years, Litex Lovech competed in the lower tiers of the country's league system and they gained promotion to the top flight for the first time ahead of the 1994-95 season. The team were relegated at the end of the 1995-96 season, but returned at the first time of asking and managed to establish themselves in the division.

Since returning to the top tier, the club have achieved huge success, starting with back-to-back league title wins in 1997–98 and 1998–99. After the turn of the 21st century, the team pushed on further, lifting the Bulgarian Cup on four occasions, with those wins coming in 2001, 2004, 2008 and 2009. Then, in 2009-10, Litex became league champions for the third time in history, before a fourth success followed in 2010–11. As a result of their performances at domestic level, the club have made appearances in both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.

Some of the club's most notable former players include Plamen Linkov, Stoycho Stoilov, Dimcho Belyakov and Nebojša Jelenković. Linkov holds the records for most goals and most appearances.

Litex Lovech's home matches are held at Gradski Lovech Stadium, which first opened in 1962. The venue was renovated in 2010, in order to meet UEFA's requirements for Champions League stadiums and one year later, the main stand was completely reconstructed. As a result, it now has an all-seater capacity of 8,100.