This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.scom if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Luis Suarez: Should Arsenal bid £50m?
18 Aug, 2013 6:05 PM GMT
After moving from Ajax to Liverpool for around £20m, Luis Suarez has wiggled his way onto the front page of the news every week. The controversial striker is currently serving a ten match ban.
Suarez has previously been punished for biting, racism and refusing to apologise for mistakes. But, the Uruguay international has an amazing talent. Scoring 23 goals in 33 appearances last season has attracted much attention, mostly from Arsenal.
Brendan Rodgers has criticised the approach from the Gunners, after offering an unusual bid of £40,000,001, which got rejected. The Liverpool manager has said that the striker is worth 'at least £50m'. The Gunners have been contemplating a bid of that figure for Suarez, but nothing official has been said yet.
Arsenal have been under pressure, particularly manager Arsene Wenger, after not spending any money this summer, despite releasing plenty of players, including Gervinho. Wenger's only signing to date is 20-year-old striker Yaya Sanago, who arrived on a free transfer.
After losing 3-1 to Aston Villa on the opening day of the season, Wenger has admitted that he needs to spend more this summer, and apologised to the fans.
Arsenal have injury woes, and do not have a left back available for their Wednesday play-off against Fenerbahce. They have been linked with Ashley Williams, 28, but have not had a bid accepted. They need to get more depth in their squad, and fast, because it's not long until the transfer window slams shut.