Football Club Merani Martvili was originally founded in 1955 under the name Salkhino Gegechkori, as part of the Soviet Union's league system. Located in the small town of Martvili, in western Georgia, the team have been known by several names throughout their history, including Chkondidi Martvili and Salkhino Martvili, before adopting their current name in more recent times. The club's traditional home colours are red and white.
During the Soviet era, the club competed in the lower tiers of the league structure, failing to ever reach the country's highest tier, the Soviet Top League. After Georgia obtained independence from the Soviet Union, the side switched to play in the newly formed Georgian National Championship, where they once again resumed play in the lower divisions.
To date, the side have been unable to claim any of the major trophies available to them within the country. However, after the turn of the new millennium, the club invested heavily in their infrastructure, in order to improve their training facilities and drive the team on towards gaining promotion. Starting in the 2007-08 season, Merani Martvili achieved three consecutive 3rd place finishes in the Pirveli Liga. The last of those seasons, the 2009-10 campaign, also bringing about a Georgian Cup semi-final appearance, marking their best performance in that competitoon in the post-Soviet era. This period marked their consolidation as a consistent, promotion-chasing team and in 2010-11, Merani Martvili were able to go one better and finish in 2nd place. As a result, they gained promotion to the Umaglesi Liga for the first time.
Their debut season in the top tier saw them finish in a respectable 8th place, securing their survival in the division in the process.
The team play home matches at the Stadioni Erosi Manjgaladze, which was renovated in 2006. It is currently able to hold up to 2,000 spectators for football matches.