Mexico coach remains defiant despite struggles
Mexico manager Jose de la Torre has no intention of stepping down despite another draw in their latest FIFA World Cup qualifying match.
The goalless draw with Costa Rica at the Estadio Azteca on Tuesday was the third successive CONCACAF qualifier in which Mexico have failed to score.
And although they remain third in the standings, fourth-placed Honduras are putting the pressure on for the final automatic qualification place for Brazil 2014.
USA lead the group, two points clear of Costa Rica and Mexico on eight points, with de la Torre's side in third due to their inferior goal difference.
After reaching the last 16 of the 2010 World Cup, expectations were high that Mexico would coast through qualifying this time around, but the performances of Panama and Costa Rica have made their task harder - something their manager has recognised.
"The World Cup qualifiers are complicated and always have been," de la Torre said.
"The other teams in the region have improved, as we saw when Mexico and Honduras finished among the top four at the Olympic Games, and sometimes we don't appreciate that."
Mexico have only scored three goals in their six qualifying matches they have played so far and the home fans reacted angrily at the final whistle of Tuesday's game.
De la Torre acknowledged their concerns, but insisted he was still the right man to lead his country in the remaining two matches and remained confident they would reach next year's tournament.
"I prepare every day to win, not to stand on the sidelines," he said. "There's no doubting that we haven't obtained the results we need at home.
"It's always important to win matches at home, we haven't done it and that has made our lives more complicated.
"We haven't played good football and that has been reflected in the results.
"I think the supporters have the right to say what they want, they were extraordinary, they supported us throughout the game. Everyone has a coach within them and we will always see things differently."