Monaco in hunt for Beckham signature
David Beckham says a return to the English Premier League is unlikely as he weighs up a number of offers to continue his playing career.
Beckham announced earlier this month that he would leave MLS club Los Angeles Galaxy at the end of the season after five years in the United States.
The decision triggered a wave of interest, with clubs in Australia, Brazil and Russia all clamouring to secure the former England captain's services.
But it appears Beckham may be headed to France, where Ligue 2 side Monaco have emerged as surprise favourites to sign the title winner with Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan.
The ambitious principality club are expected to begin negotiations with Beckham on Saturday following the MLS Cup final between Galaxy and Houston Dynamo.
"I'm lucky because at 37 years old, I've been offered some exciting options," Beckham said.
"I've got quite a few offers on the table.
"I've always said I think I would struggle to come back and play in England because I've played for the biggest club in the world, the biggest club in England, Manchester United, and I couldn't see myself playing for any other Premiership team.
"But you never know. Like I said, we've got some exciting options on the table. I do think we'll be spending a little more time in England because it's good for the kids to see their grandparents."
Monaco play in the second tier of French football after being relegated from Ligue 1 in 2010.
Billionaire Russian businessman Dmitry Rybolovlev bought a majority stake in club last year, and has ambitions of returning Monaco to the heights which saw them reach the Champions League final in 2004.
Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri has taken the reins at the Stade Louis II, with his side on top of the Ligue 2 table after 15 matches.