Odemwingie defends QPR trip
West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie has defended his decision to travel to Loftus Road as he looked to secure a deadline-day move to QPR.
West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace accused the Nigerian of acting in a 'wholly unprofessional' manner when he drove to London on Thursday for talks, despite the fact no deal with his club had been agreed.
However, the 31-year-old insists he had an understanding with West Brom's technical director Dan Ashworth, who he says gave him permission to travel to the capital, although he admitted he received nothing in writing.
"They didn't give me written permission but when you are gentlemen you understand each other easily," Odemwingie said.
"I had to be in training that morning but when that was done I asked if I could go as I had to pack and start driving. I got the go-ahead from him (Ashworth) as far as I understand so I went round and said goodbye to everyone and thank you.
"In my opinion everything was done right. He can deny it because he has to look good in this situation.
"I knew that it took two hours to drive to London and I had to be there because we were 90 percent there and then the deal didn't happen. My only regret is that I didn't have the paper in my hand before I went to London."
The former Lille striker still has 18 months left on his current contract at West Brom, and remains adamant his future lies away from the Hawthorns.
"I believe if West Brom brought me back here it is because they believe there is a way I can be back on the pitch and giving my best to the team," he added.
"I will always love the club but I will still leave, it is just a matter of time. I understand the need to honour your contract but the club have known the reasons I want to leave for some time now. They feel I can overcome that, but they don't know my heart.
"My contract runs out in a year and a half. I wasn't offered an extension here. My career ends one day and so will my contract here at West Brom."