Unione Sportiva Città di Palermo, commonly called Palermo, was founded in 1900 as the Anglo Panormitan Athletic and Football Club. The club has a long and complicated history, first changing its name to Palermo Foot-Ball Club in 1907 and then to Unione Sportiva Palermo after the end of the First World War. In 1927, the club went out of business and was reformed as Vigor Palermo. Several other name changes occured before the current name came into use in 1987.
Palermo made their first appearance in Serie A in 1932 and remained in the top flight until 1936. In the decades that followed, the club began to yo-yo between Serie A, Serie B and occasionally Serie C.
Palermo returned to the top flight in 2004, after 31 years in the lower divisions and the club's owner, Maurizio Zamparini, aimed to reach new heights. At the end of the 2004–05 season, Palermo finished in 6th place and gained qualification to the UEFA Cup for the first time ever. Although the club has never won a major trophy either domestically or in Europe, Palermo have reached the Coppa Italia final on three occasions. The most recent of these finals took place during the 2010-11 season, where they were beaten 3-1 by Internazionale. Their historical rivals are Catania and they contest the Derby di Sicilia
Noteable former players include names like Santiago Vernazza, Roberto Anzolin, Luca Toni, Fabio Grosso and Cristian Zaccardo.
Since 1932, Palermo have played their home matches at the Stadio Renzo Barbera, previously known as the Stadio Littorio and the Stadio Michele Marrone. During the 1980s, the stadium had a capacity of 50,000 but renovations ahead of the 1990 FIFA World Cup saw the installation of seats instead of standing sections. This reduced the capacity to its current total of 36,349. In 2007, the club announced plans to move to a new stadium owned by the club, rather than the Municipality of Palermo.