This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.com if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Rodgers rules out major signings
Nov 19, 2012 2:25 AM GMT
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he is not looking to make big changes to his squad when the transfer window opens in January.
The Anfield club have just one fit senior forward at the club in the shape of star striker Luis Suarez after losing Fabio Borini to a foot injury and letting Andy Carroll move on loan to West Ham United.
Rodgers admits his lack of options will force him into the market when the window opens at the start of next year.
However, the former Swansea manager is realistic about his budget at Anfield, and knows it will not be easy to bring in top quality in the middle of the season.
"The reality is that there was always going to be a bit of movement this season with the club trying to regain some of their money," the Northern Irishman told reporters.
"This season was always going to be difficult.
"We'll look to do something in the January transfer window, though. There's not going to be wholesale changes in terms of players coming in, that's the reality of where the club is at.
"We're looking to grow over the next six months, we'll get some reinforcements in January and that will support the group who have been magnificent for me so far.
"Hopefully in the summer we can build again."
Rodgers spent a large part of the off-season clearing his squad of the signings made by previous managers on Merseyside, with the likes of Charlie Adam, Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriquez all leaving Anfield.
Fringe players at Anfield such as Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Joe Cole may be among those moved on to create room for new faces at the club in the New Year.