Shelbourne

Founded In
1895
Location
Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Shelbourne

About Shelbourne

Shelbourne Football Club was first established in Ringsend, Dublin back in 1895 and relocated to Drumcondra, Dublin in 1989. The team joined the Irish Football League in 1904 and were a founding member of the League of Ieland when it was formed in 1921. They have since emerged as one of the country's most successful football clubs. Shelbourne have a number of nicknames, including Shels, which is a shortened version of the club's name, and The Reds, in reference to their traditional colours.

Their main rivals are Bohemians and the two clubs contest the Northside Derby; the oldest derby match in the Republic of Ireland. Shelbourne and Bohemians are the only two remaining sides from the inaugural League of Ireland season in 1922 and their stadiums are located less than two miles apart. Shelbourne's other rivals include Shamrock Rovers and St. Patrick's Athletic.

Altogether, the club have been crowned as league champions 13 times, making them the second most successful side in the competition's history. Their most recent league title success came at the conclusion of the 2006 season. The team have won the IFA Cup three times and the FAI Cup seven times, making them one of the few clubs to have lifted both trophies. Other major honours include the League of Ireland Cup, which they won in 1995-96, and the League of Ireland Shield, which they have won eight times in total. Shelbourne have played in several European tournaments and in 2004, they became the first Irish team to reach the third qualifying round of the UEFA Champions League.

Notable former players include Val Harris, Alex Hair, Joe Haverty and Jason Byrne. Eric Barber is the club's record league goalscorer.

Shelbourne's home games are played at Tolka Park, which is known in Irish as Páirc an Tulcha. The stadium first opened in 1953 and has a maximum capacity of 9,680, although its 'safe capacity' has been set at 6,000 spectators.