This article is published by Football.com. Please contact Football.com if you think this content is appropriate and should be removed from this page.
Southampton bid for Forren
Jan 15, 2013 5:32 PM GMT
Molde manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Southampton have bid to sign defender Vegard Forren, despite interest from Liverpool.
The centre-back had been invited for a trial with the Reds and flew into England on Monday night but the assessment period was subsequently cancelled following the Saints' firm offer for the Norwegian.
A reported fee of 3.5 million pounds has been agreed between Southampton and Molde, with Solskjaer outlining the development to Norwegian newspaper Romsdals Budstikke.
"There have been many enquiries from various English clubs, but Southampton submitted an offer, it was very interesting for us and Vegard," the former Manchester United striker said.
"We are more or less agreed with the club but nothing is 100 percent confirmed. Molde are close to a deal, so we'll see if this is something that all the three parties will go on."
The 24-year-old Forren began his career at Molde and has made five appearances for the Norwegian national team.
Forren's rise has been one of 2012's major positives for Norwegian football.
For the first time since Brede Hangeland's breakthrough there is a real feeling that Norway has finally produced another central defender who can make his mark in Europe.
"To me, the Premier League is the best place to play football," Forren told local paper Romsdals Budstikke.