Telkom Knock-Out Cup: Bidvest Wits 2 Golden Arrows 3

Created on 05 Oct., 2013 6:37 PM GMT

Lamontville Golden Arrows beat Bidvest Wits 3-2 away from home to advance to the quarter-finals of the Telkom Knock-Out Cup in an exciting thriller at the Bidvest Stadium on Friday night.

Abafana Bes’tende came back from behind twice in the match before first-half substitute Rudolf Bester sealed the tie with the winning goal 10 minutes before full-time. Bidvest Wits were the better side in the match after winning a total of eleven corners in the match.

The match started in a flier when the home side opened the scoring in the 6th minute when Kwanda Mngonyama beat defenders inside the box to header home a well delivered cross by Matthew Pattison past the helpless goalkeeper Nkosingiphile Gumede to give Bidvest Wits an early lead.

The visitors suffered a blow when their attacker Kgotso Polelo picked up a knock and he was replaced by Rudolf Betser in the 12th minute. The substitute made his mark 15 minutes after coming on when his well timed low cross was tapped in by Bonginkosi Ntuli to make the score 1-1.

Then Gumede pulled off a great save after a poor clearance from his defenders allowed unmarked Matthew Pattison to have a go at goal from the edge of the area with 10 minutes left before the break.

Rudolf Bester had a chance to send Golden Arrows ahead going into half-time when he connected with Bongani Ntuli’s cross but his header from close range went inches wide of the Moeneeb Josephs right hand post just five minute left in the opening half.

A minute later, Bidvest Wits were back in front when captain Sibusiso Vilakazi met a cross from the left hand flank and took a well first-time shot to beat Gumede at goals and send his side 2-1 up to the half-time.

The second-half started in a slow tempo and the first chance of the half came after the hour-mark when Philane Shange should have brought his side on level terms when he was played through on goal after a quickly taken free-kick but the midfielder sent his effort wide of the mark.

A minute later, Bongani Ntuli was on target again when he connected with Philane Shange’s cross to score the equaliser with a well taken first-time shot and bagged himself a brace. Bidvest Wits were in search of a goal when they introduced Ryan Chapman in the space of former Manchester City striker Benjani Mwaruwari in 66th minute.

Golden Arrows should have been up in the match for the first time when Rudolf Bester ballooned his effort over the bar from close range after a great counter attacking football from the visitors with only 20 minutes to play.

But Namibian international paid his earlier miss by scoring the winner to put his side 3-2 up when he was picked by Nkosinathi Ntuli in the good space inside the area and his well taken shot that made one bounce before finding its way on the back of the net and beat wrong footed Moeneeb Josephs who made a touch to the ball but failed to keep it out.

Bidvest Wits will now go back to the drawing board after being knocked-out in the cup matches for the second time in row in less than two weeks while Golden Arrows becomes the first team to book a spot in the semi-finals of the Telkom Knock-Out Cup.  

Bidvest Wits line-up: Jospehs, Nhlapo, Mngonyama, Dankwae, Bhasera, Jayiya, Faty, Pattison, Lubelo (Langwe 81’), Vilakazi (C) ( Issacs 73’), Mwariwari ( Chapman 66’)

Golden Arrows line-up: Gumde, Skhakhane, Sithole (C), Ntombayithethi, Tom, Wadabwa (Zwane 80’), Mdungwe, Nene, Shange, Polelo ( Betser 12’), (Ntuli )

Loading ...