Torpedo Kutaisi

Founded In
Kutaisi, Georgia

Torpedo Kutaisi

About Torpedo Kutaisi

Football Club Torpedo Kutaisi, often known as Torpedo Kutaisi or FC Torpedo, was first established in 1946 on the base of a truck manufacturing company. Throughout history, the club have competed in both the Soviet and Georgian league structures and have enjoyed some major success in the latter. They are based in the city of Kutaisi.

After working their way up through the Soviet league pyramid, Torpedo Kutaisi were able to gain promotion to the top tier, the Soviet Top League, ahead of the 1962 season. Although their success in Soviet football was limited, the club remained in the division until 1970 and carved out a reputation for producing top quality players, who often went on to win major honours with other teams.

Since Georgia gained independence from the Soviet Union, the club have achieved far greater levels of success. In the 1998-99 season, they finished as league runners up and lifted their first major trophy, the Georgian Cup. The 1999-00 season brought about an even greater triumph, as they won the league for the first time. Then, in 2000-01, Torpedo Kutaisi experienced the greatest season of their history, as they won both the Georgian Cup and the league title, completing a domestic league and cup double. In 2001-02, they won their third consecutive league title. However, in 2007, the club were relegated from the top tier for financial reasons and did not return until the 2010-11 season.

During the Soviet era, notable players who represented Torpedo include Ramaz Shengelia and Merab Megreladze. In more recent times, some of their top players have included the likes of Zurab Ionanidze, Davit Janashia and Kakhaber Kvetenadze.

The team's home matches are held at Givi Kiladze Stadium, which is also known as Torpedo Stadium. The venue is able to hold a maximum of 14,700 spectators.